LM 17 XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catfish12

Re: LM 17 XFCE

Post by catfish12 »

templar

Post by templar »

catfish12 wrote:HI report the bug here :wink:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint

Thank you. I posted a bug report on the site:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1332348
Anonymo

Post by Anonymo »

I just installed this and it's running great.

One small niggle. On dual monitors, with Intel Haswell graphics, HDMI 1 on left and VGA1 on right, I go to right click, desktop settings. From VGA1 (right), I can choose a bunch of wallpapers from the /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops but if I move it to the left (HDMI1), it switches to the /usr/share/backgrounds/xfce and only has the mouse wallpaper. I can manually move to the /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops but can't select any of the wallpapers.
dexviajiboy

Post by dexviajiboy »

Linux Mint 17 XFCE Stable
statua Approved :)
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/317

iso link?
Thank you..
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Yep, it appeared on the AARNET (Australia) mirror earlier today... :-)

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/linuxmint/stable/17/
Lin Jones

Post by Lin Jones »

I installed it last night and it's running great.
BuzzTrout69

Post by BuzzTrout69 »

templar wrote:It has to do with the network connectivity, and I suspect its only a problem with my WiFi card. The problem is that while I can make a connection to my router, I cannot use the connection to connect to sites on the web or download email. In fact, I cannot even ping my router at 192.168.1.1 !! While I am connected to it I cannot even ping it. Very unusual. Cinnamon and MATE both suffer the same problem.

My WiFi adapter is a TP-WN951N, which uses the Atheros AR5008-3NG chipset.

Also see this thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=158733

Anyway, I would like to know the best place to report this. Does anyone know?
While I sympathize with you (my laptop uses a Broadcom WiFi, so I have experienced issues in the past, myself, and at one point in the past had to "borrow" a file from my Microsoft OS partition), is this technically a bug... or just an incompatibility issue? I just looked TP-Link's website at the TL-WN951N, and under the system requirements section of the specifications sub-page, it lists "Windows 7(32/64bits), Windows Vista(32/64bits), Windows XP(32/64bits), Windows 2000." That - along with the "W" in the product's name - causes me to wonder if this is one of those "Made for Windows" hardware devices that have no provision (from the manufacturer) for linux OS use. If that IS the case, the lack of functionality would be (IMO) more of a feature that has not been included than a bug.

EDIT:
Then again, post #879 of this thread

Code: Select all

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361236&page=88
states that this device works well with (L)ubuntu 14.04, so... it may be a bug, lol.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

Been running Mint 16 XFCE for a while now, and love it. Beginning to evaluate 17 on an extra hard drive, and have noticed one puzzling behaviour that I can't figure out. Opening the menu in 17 results in about a three of four second delay--not a deal-breaker, but annoying. I've also noticed the system is a bit "laggy", or not quite as snappy as when running Mint 16. System is a "vintage" Lenovo desktop, dual core pentium 2.8 ghz and 2 gigs of ram. The performance drop is quite noticeable. I haven't seen anything in 17 that's much different than 16, so at this point my only incentive to upgrade is the long term support. Can anyone tell me what happens as far as security updates with Mint 16? What about availability of software, i.e., are the repositories maintained? Truthfully, over the years I've tried many, many distros, but I never stuck with one long enough to worry about such things. At this point I'm leaning toward keeping 16 on my laptop, which is pretty much my main computer, at least for the time being, and continuing to test 17 on the desktop. If it weren't for end of support in July (2014), I'd keep Mint 16 on my laptop for the forseeable future--it's that good, and runs that smooth.

Regards
Bob
12 Monkeys

Post by 12 Monkeys »

Hi guys!

Since there isn't an official download on the mint page yet...
Is this the link to the final Xfce 17?
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/17/

Regards
Mikael
templar

Post by templar »

BuzzTrout69 wrote:
templar wrote:It has to do with the network connectivity, and I suspect its only a problem with my WiFi card. The problem is that while I can make a connection to my router, I cannot use the connection to connect to sites on the web or download email. In fact, I cannot even ping my router at 192.168.1.1 !! While I am connected to it I cannot even ping it. Very unusual. Cinnamon and MATE both suffer the same problem.

My WiFi adapter is a TP-WN951N, which uses the Atheros AR5008-3NG chipset.

Also see this thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=158733

Anyway, I would like to know the best place to report this. Does anyone know?
While I sympathize with you (my laptop uses a Broadcom WiFi, so I have experienced issues in the past, myself, and at one point in the past had to "borrow" a file from my Microsoft OS partition), is this technically a bug... or just an incompatibility issue? I just looked TP-Link's website at the TL-WN951N, and under the system requirements section of the specifications sub-page, it lists "Windows 7(32/64bits), Windows Vista(32/64bits), Windows XP(32/64bits), Windows 2000." That - along with the "W" in the product's name - causes me to wonder if this is one of those "Made for Windows" hardware devices that have no provision (from the manufacturer) for linux OS use. If that IS the case, the lack of functionality would be (IMO) more of a feature that has not been included than a bug.

EDIT:
Then again, post #879 of this thread

Code: Select all

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361236&page=88
states that this device works well with (L)ubuntu 14.04, so... it may be a bug, lol.
Linux Mint 16 Xfce x64 worked great right out of the box for me. However, they changed something in the LM17 network code that broke my WiFi that was perfectly happy under LM16. My guess is that its some sort of weird configuration issue. And FWIW /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts look the same in both 16 and 17RC. If I choose on the "Connection Information" on LM16 it shows I'm using the ath9k driver, but oddly when I click the LM17RC "Connection Information" the driver part is missing, even though all the rest of the connection info is filled in correctly.

UPDATE: I downloaded the LM 17 x64 Xfce stable distro and booted it from a DVD. Took a peek at the /etc/network/interfaces file and noticed a difference in the comments between LM16 and LM17. In LM16 (which works fine) the only comment in the file concerns the network utilities ifup(8) and ifdown(8). HOWEVER, in LM17 the only comment in the file concerns a different network utility, resolvconf. It seems the LM distro is now using resolvconf, which cannot find my interface wlan0 even when it is up and running.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Software updates are important to me, so I installed Mint 13 Xfce. Its a fine distro with support into 2017. Interestingly - concerning that WiFi board that LM 17 hated, Mint 13 (like Mint 16) absolutely loves it. I'm sticking with LM 13 Xfce x64.
Last edited by templar on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Just installed it and it looks and works great.
One surprise was that out of the box there were about 200 updates, over 200 mb of updates, which seems a lot for a new release. I thought maybe I had got the RC by mistake, but it looks like the regular release. Anyway, it's an awesome release, and the whisper menu is quite nice.
Good job Mint team!
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

bjmh46 wrote:Been running Mint 16 XFCE for a while now, and love it. Beginning to evaluate 17 on an extra hard drive, and have noticed one puzzling behaviour that I can't figure out. Opening the menu in 17 results in about a three of four second delay--not a deal-breaker, but annoying. I've also noticed the system is a bit "laggy", or not quite as snappy as when running Mint 16. System is a "vintage" Lenovo desktop, dual core pentium 2.8 ghz and 2 gigs of ram. The performance drop is quite noticeable. I haven't seen anything in 17 that's much different than 16, so at this point my only incentive to upgrade is the long term support. Can anyone tell me what happens as far as security updates with Mint 16? What about availability of software, i.e., are the repositories maintained? Truthfully, over the years I've tried many, many distros, but I never stuck with one long enough to worry about such things. At this point I'm leaning toward keeping 16 on my laptop, which is pretty much my main computer, at least for the time being, and continuing to test 17 on the desktop. If it weren't for end of support in July (2014), I'd keep Mint 16 on my laptop for the forseeable future--it's that good, and runs that smooth.

Regards
Bob
My experience was with running Lubuntu 10.10 (non-LTS) that ran like blazes on my little netbook for almost three years. The OS updates stopped but software was updated in repositories longer than it was "supposed to" - the champion being Google Chrome that updated for about two years. Since then I've used and updated Mint XFCE, which runs quite well and is more polished, not for operating system updates but when the software repositories go out of date and I'm missing improvements in browsers, LibreOffice, GIMP, VLC, or other third party updates I use.

I install current Mint versions on Persistent Live USB to see if there's something about the OS itself to "fall in love with" but usually it's meh. I run OSs to launch software, not to love OSs. "LTS" support has not included extended life for software repositories, so I've completely ignored it and just installed whichever current version I need to get the current versions of the software I want to use. For the time being there is no software in Mint 17 repos I can't find in the repos for Mint 16, so am in no flaming rush to install on my hard drives. (If a major security issue like OpenSSL bug appears that won't be fixed for Mint 16, that would be another reason to hurry to install the current version.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

Thanks I2k4!
I am sticking with Mint 16 for the time being. I did download and install the XFCE 17 final release today (on a usb drive). 232mb of updates after the first boot. It does behave better than the fully updated release candidate. I believe that it would be ok to install on my laptop, but I have everything I need, well configured, and running very well, with Mint 16 XFCE, so I'm adopting your method and staying where I'm at.

Regards
Bob
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

bjmh46 wrote:Thanks I2k4!
I am sticking with Mint 16 for the time being. I did download and install the XFCE 17 final release today (on a usb drive). 232mb of updates after the first boot. It does behave better than the fully updated release candidate. I believe that it would be ok to install on my laptop, but I have everything I need, well configured, and running very well, with Mint 16 XFCE, so I'm adopting your method and staying where I'm at.

Regards
Bob
Glad if my comment was helpful. My advice about running from Persistent Live USB is to not do major OS updates on the thumb drive and only do small software updates - I like keeping a thumb drive install to experiment safely with all the great advice I get on the internet but they seem to go wonky if used too much. I completely agree that it requires a serious improvement to justify the time it takes to configure both a new OS and all the software to personal preferences on a main install on the hard drive.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Xfce”