Alacarte not working and Menulibre screws up my menu

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

Alacarte not working and Menulibre screws up my menu

Post by nomko »

As it says in the topic title:

1) Alacarte doesn't seem to work
2) Menulibre screws up the menu structure of Xfce (Mint 16 Xfce)

Alacarte doesn't hide menu items when set it to be hidden.
Why is that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Alacarte not working and Menulibre screws up my menu

Post by karlchen »

Hello, nomko.

Alacarte has never supported xfce desktop environments as far as I can tell. It was useful on old Gnome2 desktops, but by now it is pretty useless on any Mint desktop environment.
Cinnamon brings along cinnamon-menu-editor, an Alacarte fork which has been adapted for Cinnamon.

Menu Libre should work on Mint 16 xfce. Yet, the point may be: which version of Menu Libre are we talking about precisely?
The initial 13.04.xx series of menulibre officially only supported Mint 13 to Mint 15. But it could be installed and used on Mint 16, too, by requesting to get the raring version here: Launchpad Menulibre PPA.
The new menulibre 2.03 has been rewritten from the scratch and needs Python 3.4. It is available for saucy and trusty (Mint 16 and 17).
So which menulibre version exactly are you using?
And what does corrupt your menu structure mean in detail?

Maybe the hype about menulibre was just this, a hype. Maybe on xfce desktop we should return to the old lxmed. Definitely not really polished and a bit complicated to handle.

In case all else fails, there is still mousepad and editing the files in ~/.local/share/applications directly and if need be even those in /usr/share/applications (carefull they are the systemwide menu files)

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
nomko

Post by nomko »

I don't want to use Lxmed. This application has not been updated since may 2012 and therefore outdated. I doubt it supports the latest versions of Mint and its desktop environment. Even the posts on the "lxmed forum" dates back early 2013..... Since lxmed is not updated any longer it's getting pretty much more and more useless....

Too bad that alacarte doesn't work on Xfce.

I was using the latest version on Menulibre. And i don't want to call Menulibre a hype, it is not. If Menulibre is a hype, so is alacarte and so is Lxmed. All three of them do the same and are meant for the same: editing menu structures on a graphical way.

I'll try it manually by editing the files under ~/.local/share/applications and /usr/share/applications.
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

My experience:

Menulibre worked fine for LM XFCE 15, but crashed for LM XFCE 16. I noted a later version of menulibre at launchpad

https://launchpad.net/menulibre

Unfortunately, this did not work either. I installed alacarte which worked for me since I only wanted to edit the terminal command. But to add stuffs, it would be no good.

Sorry, I am not much help.

Sheng-Chieh
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

As near as I can tell, XFCE users have been requesting some sort of XFCE-native menu editor application off and on for years at the XFCE website - and it has to date not been something that the developers of XFCE have prioritized.

One of the downsides of free software, lol, is that there's no clock-punching (and -watching) wage-slave to assign the job to. I'd guess that none of the people who are capable of writing such an app are inclined to do so; perhaps they figure that since they don't have a problem with manually editing their menus, others should learn how - or maybe they just don't have the time, IDK.

BtW, I thought the description for Alacarte stated it should work on any DE which followed the freedesktop(.org?) standard... And I also thought that XFCE's developers had stated that XFCE does. So... IDK? :roll:

There isn't a whole lot that I miss since I switched from GNOME (v2.something.or.other) to XFCE. But if I had to name one thing, it'd be the ability to right-click on the menu and do at least rudimentary editing without having to install an app first. I was able to show/hide entries and move them from category to category that way (unless I'm misremembering).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
yeti

Post by yeti »

I was wondering, for menu adjusting, does the following reference apply to Xfce?
https://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3. ... nu.html.en
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

I'm way back on Mint 13 with Xfce 4.8 and Alacarte works fine for editing the menu. I'm able to hide or make visible menu items, and add or remove them too.

Must have changed since, from the comments here.
altae

Post by altae »

I cannot confirm that. On my outdated laptop I use Mint 13 xfce too and Alacarte does nothing at all. No editing, no way to hide, delete or add entries. So I would not waste my time trying to get it working. Maybe I'll try Menulibre.
fuzzyeric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fuzzyeric »

Regarding Menu Libre and the Applications Menu...

Can you confirm or deny that "screws up my menu" is the problem reported at https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1331575. If so, the problems with Menu Libre and the Applications Menu have continued through Mint Xfce 17 and 17.1.

Return to “Xfce”