Force Thunar to mount network shares as CIFs

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
badtlc

Force Thunar to mount network shares as CIFs

Post by badtlc »

Is there a way to change how Thunar mounts windows networked shares using CIFs? The default mounting causes slow LAN speeds on file transfers. Right now I can manually mount using the "mount -t -cifs" command but I want to automate it somehow.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Force Thunar to mount network shares as CIFs

Post by altair4 »

Thunar's going to do what Thunar is going to do and I don't know how to change that.

If you already know how to manually mount the share you might consider AutoFS: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=144997

It's not for casually mounting browsed shares but for shares you access often.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
badtlc

Post by badtlc »

I looked into AutoFS but the shares are not always available. So I don't want my mint install looking for those shares every time it boots up because they probably won't be there and XFCE seems to really hang when it has mounted a share that isn't online.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

If you looked at AutoFS then you know that it doesn't mount anything at boot or even at login.

It only mounts things when mount points are accessed. It's an automounter:
An automounter is any program or software facility which automatically mounts filesystems in response to access operations by user programs. An automounter system utility (daemon under Unix), when notified of file and directory access attempts under selectively monitored subdirectory trees, dynamically and transparently makes local or remote devices accessible.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
badtlc

Post by badtlc »

I will try it again then. That sounds like what I want/need.

I ran into road blocks the first time getting authentication setup properly. I just want it to ask for a password when I try to access the shared location instead of storing the username/pw in a file. I'll have to figure that out.

Return to “Xfce”