Configure MDM to auto as root

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sebastian

Configure MDM to auto as root

Post by sebastian »

I tried to configure /etc/mdm/mdm.conf to "AutomaticLogin=root" and "TimedLogin=root" and "AllowRoot=true", but it still says "Authentication failed. Letters must be given with their proper case"and then it says "User root will be logged in within 5 seconds" and then over and over and over again.
Seems like XFCE4/MDM does not recongnize the root account?

Now to the background of the problem:
Im trying to setup keyboard shortcuts in xfce4. Going into xfce4-keyboard-settings and trying to delete any of the keyboard shortcuts: Nothing happens.
Attempting to edit ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml succeeds, but at reboot, the file is "restored" to its prior configuration.

And no, im not running the live version, im running the install version.

Seems like a permission problem, so to "fix" this permission problem, I plan to go over entirely to the root account - permission problems solved.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mercury048

Re: Configure MDM to auto as root

Post by Mercury048 »

I'm not sure trying to login as root is the best solution to your problem.

I've also encountered the issue where some of the keyboard shortcuts cannot be deleted.

Something is very broken in xfce4-keyboard-settings. Really disappointing because it looks like a hugely glaring bug. Where's QA?

I have found that while the shortcuts cannot be deleted, they can be modified. For the shortcuts I don't want, I pointed them to execute a do-nothing shell script. This is a workaround, not a proper fix, but I've given up on solving the original problem with the keyboard settings.

Return to “Xfce”