Run xclient script black screen after 15 to 16 upgrade

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anothermuggle

Run xclient script black screen after 15 to 16 upgrade

Post by anothermuggle »

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help me...

I just updated my netbook from Mint 15 XFCE to Mint 16 XFCE by updating my sources and upgrading via apt-get.

Initially I was getting a black screen with only a cursor after logging in though the welcome screen. After some tinkering I discovered that changing the session type from "Run xclient script" to "XFCE" I was able to log in and everything is working great.

Can anyone tell me what "Run xclient script" is, whether it would normally be the default session and what I might do about it not appearing to work?

Thanks,
AnotherMuggle
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anothermuggle

Re: Run xclient script black screen after 15 to 16 upgrade

Post by anothermuggle »

For the record I've done some fairly extensive Googling and I can't find any information on what the xclient script actually is. I can only find other people asking similar questions on what it is and what it does...
rogerb1583

Post by rogerb1583 »

+1 confused as well as to what xclient is and how it is different from Cinammon. Total newbie here. :D
soundmaster80

Post by soundmaster80 »

I have this problem as well. Mine autologins on boot, can you tell me where I would go to change this? Currently I'm having to open a different TTY screen and run "startx xfce4-session"

Any help for this noob would be greatly appreciated. :-)
soundmaster80

Post by soundmaster80 »

I was able to solve for myself by opening another TTY screen (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and killing mdm. I typed "mdm" and got the process ID and did "sudo kill -9 PID". When i ran mdm again I was able to login to xfce4-session and upon rebooting everything worked correctly.

Hope this helps others.
gabrieljt

Post by gabrieljt »

happenend to me as well, exactly as OP stated.

will try the workaround later :)

--- edit ---

didn't work for me :(

after killing mdm and running it again, logged in a xfce session normally.
but after rebooting, the black screen problem persists when logging in with the "run xclient script" option.

Return to “Xfce”