User switching not working. GDBus error

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
saivinoba

User switching not working. GDBus error

Post by saivinoba »

Hi,

I'm on Linux Mint 16 XFCE. I'm not able to switch to other user from either 'Actions Button' or 'User Switcher'. I get the following error

Code: Select all

[b]Unable to start new display:[/b]
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files
Although I have posted under XFCE the same problem exists in Cinnamon also, just someother short error message.

For what it is worth, let me add that this is not clean install of XFCE from Mint 16 XFCE iso. I have cinnamon, but as my netbook does not support 3D accelaration, had to install XFCE afterwards.

It is very inconvenient to logout and login as different user each time. For that time being I'm logging myself in console and starting x with

Code: Select all

startx -- :1
and switching using Ctrl+Alt+Fn key.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
computerbob

Re: User switching not working. GDBus error

Post by computerbob »

Boot from a live cd of just about any linux distro
Run memtest 100%

Esc and boot to live cd desktop
Open Menu
Find Disks (aka Gnome-disk-utility)
All drives should say "Disk is OK"
Any bad sectors means the drive is no good.

If ram is good and hdd is good, save files and reload OS
Do a fresh install this time. Create a new partition table.
saivinoba

Post by saivinoba »

I don't understand how that is related to my problem. Everything is working fine except that I'm not able to use user-switch function.
saivinoba

Post by saivinoba »

Reviving an old post.

The problem apparently was with gdmflexiserver being hardcoded to 'actions' which is not available in latest version of Ubuntu (Linux Mint).
1. Refer http://askubuntu.com/questions/517337/s ... untu-14-04 for solution.
2. Refer https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1320560 for bug report.

I don't have access to the mentioned system so cannot confirm the fix. Gave ref here so that people don't have to do a lot of search. Also, this post will get closure. :-)
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I hope you're not still using Mint 16, since it has been unsupported (receiving NO updates, even security-related ones) for over a year.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
saivinoba

Post by saivinoba »

MtnDewManiac wrote:I hope you're not still using Mint 16, since it has been unsupported (receiving NO updates, even security-related ones) for over a year.

Regards,
MDM
Hi, I'm running Rafaela. I saw bug report for 14.04 Trusty, so just posted the link without thinking much. What you implied is correct; the issue has been fixed and as long as we are running latest version of LM (or Ubuntu) there should not be an issue (again _I_ cannot confirm as I don't have XFCE version). Thanks.

Return to “Xfce”