[Solved]error "No running instance of xfce4-panel was found"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

[Solved]error "No running instance of xfce4-panel was found"

Post by sadhu »

Linux Mint 15, originally Cinnamon but loaded xfce desktop.

The error above crops up on every boot, and then after a long wait (usually I get impatrient and press ctrl-alt-delete, which locks the screen, but when unlocked I get the desktop), with the Question window popup showing the above message, with Execute and Cancel options. I press Execute, and then get a message about a "Kiosk", whatever that is. Then I discover over 30 overlaid "Question" popups with the "No running..." message. I must press cancel on each of these.

All things I've tried (deleting .cache, settings > panel edit, settings > startup... haven't worked.

Every time I boot, at the login window when I check the sessions setup, xfce is unchecked. Manually checking it and loggin on, or rebooting, doesn't have any effect.

How to permanently fix this error?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4
computerbob

Re: Getting error "No running instance of xfce4-panel was fo

Post by computerbob »

It could be a hardware issue. When I take in a computer for repair, the first thing I need to know is "Do I have any bad sectors on the hard drive?". Next, does memtest run 100%. If your ram is ok, run a live cd of Mint16. Go to Menu and find Disks. Select your drive is see if Disk is ok. If there are any bad sectors, replace the drive.
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu »

hmmm scary thought.

This is a brand new computer, an HP Pavillion 15 w/ 4 GB RAM, I-5 @ 3+GHz & 750 GB hdd and a 2GB AMD Radeon graphics card.

I've had nothing but problems with it. first, I couldn't disable UEFI, and no linux could be loaded--until I partitioned the HDD at install time, leaving a blank 1GB space at the beginning of the disk--for the special windows 8 boot partitions, I assume). The machine model, I discover by Googling, is sold only in S. Asia (Pakistan, India, and Sri Lanka). The only drivers for it are for Windows 8 (although the machine comes loaded with the "freeDOS" operating system!). No drivers for Windows 7, at all.

I mention all this just in case anybody is considering purchasing an HP Pavillion 15. DON'T. Oh yes, HP help desk said I should install Win 8.

Anyway, at boot time today the machine hung, and I noticed was a partition table error (stemming from bad sector?), but on another try the system booted normally--with the above error... an another that I haven't reported yet.

Well, at least the machine is under warranty, even in S. Asia. I just downloaded Mint 16 xfce, so I'll burn a boot pen drive, then try your suggestion. I'll report back.

TYVM

-Sadhu!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I doubt this is a hardware issue, rest easy. It's rather suspicious you get an error about an Xfce component on Linux Mint Cinnamon, where you manualy added Xfce right? :) Probably something wasn't installed or configured correctly on your end for Xfce. You are probably now loading some Cinnamon components in your Xfce session and missing some Xfce components...

I'm not sure how to fix that as I rarely use Xfce. If you must use Xfce, I suggest you install Linux Mint 16 Xfce cleanly and that will likely get rid of these errors. At least trying it out from the Live DVD or USB should give you a good view on whether Xfce can work without problems on your computer (I'm guessing it can).
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu »

I did some investigation & concluded that the hdd was OK. I boot using the GDM Transparent User List, and can select the desktop at login time. I had loaded xfce on top of cinnamon. There is no problem booting Cinnamon. I also have Ubuntu in a different partition. Booted into that and ran fsck on the Mint and other partitions, and found no errors.

I conclude that its a bad overlay, xfce on top of cinnamon. I now select Mint 15 Cinnamon at boot time, and no problem. I've download mint 16 xfce and will load it one of these days..,.

Thanking all for the help.

-Sadhu

Return to “Xfce”