Just One Panel On The Bottom, Possible?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Just One Panel On The Bottom, Possible?

Post by InkKnife »

Xfce runs great on my old PC but there is one thing I cannot figure out how to do. I want the panel that defaults to the top to be on the bottom. I already got rid of the Dock-like panel on the bottom.
I examined the panel settings and the only options offered are to the left or to the top. I tried unlocking the panel, hoping it could be a drag and drop operation but no luck.
Can the panel be moved to the bottom?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
cwsnyder

Re: Just One Panel On The Bottom, Possible?

Post by cwsnyder »

No, the standard Xfce top panel can't be moved to the bottom. I would recommend using the KDE, Trinity, LXDE or Razor-qt desktop for a single panel on the bottom of the screen. Xfce is more suited to mimicking the old GNOME 2.x desktop or Mac than Windows variants.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Am I horribly misunderstanding something here? Last time I checked, you could indeed simply drag and drop the top xfce panel to the bottom.
Right click on the panel, go to panel properties, unlock the panel, drag and drop it. I'll check the exact steps/names when I get home this evening, but it should be that simple.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

passerby wrote:Am I horribly misunderstanding something here? Last time I checked, you could indeed simply drag and drop the top xfce panel to the bottom.
Right click on the panel, go to panel properties, unlock the panel, drag and drop it. I'll check the exact steps/names when I get home this evening, but it should be that simple.
You are correct. XFCE is quite customizable. You can do as you described even to place it on another monitor.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

InkKnife wrote:Xfce [...] I want the panel that defaults to the top to be on the bottom. I already got rid of the Dock-like panel on the bottom.
Sorry, I do not quite understand the problem.
Have a look at my Mint 13 32-bit xfce 4.10 desktop. No special tweaking applied. No top panel. Only the bottom panel. From the start. (Unless my memory serves me absolutely wrong.)

[rimg]http://i.imgur.com/enkHmUs.png[/rimg]
Mint 13 xfce bottom panel only

Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced local screenshot by screenshot uploaded to imgur.com
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

karlchen wrote: Have a look at my Mint 13 32-bit xfce 4.10 desktop. No special tweaking applied. No top panel. Only the bottom panel. From the start. (Unless my memory serves me absolutely wrong.)
I don't think you're wrong. Mint Xfce comes with just the bottom panel out of the box. Maybe the OP is running Xubuntu?
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Mint 13 Xfce comes out of the box configured for the bottom panel only. Mint 15, which does not come with a supported Xfce variant, and Xubuntu 13.10 do NOT support a bottom panel only per default configuration, nor does the GUI configuration support changing the top panel to a bottom panel. I forgot to mention, you can also use Mint MATE or Cinnamon for a bottom panel only.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

On xfce 4.10, all I need to do is drag from any 'empty panel' .

I think on older xfce version, you need to drag with the 'handle'.

When your panel is horizontal, the handle is on both end of panel, on the far left as well as far right.

It is a little double-dot line, as it is often merged into the background you may miss it :lol:

anyway, just point to mouse cursor on the handle, left click and hold, you should then be able to drag the panel to the bottom screen.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

The trouble is I failed to notice the little drag handle that appears to the extreme left. Once I found that it was a snap.
I installed xfce on top of Mint, it is not the xfce edition of Mint. I managed to screw up Cinnamon and installed xfce as a fall back but it's so light and fast I am going to use it as my daily driver for awhile.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Thank you, Wayne128, that was my problem. I still can't really see the 'handles' on my monitor, but I could move the panel when I grabbed the end of the panel. (At least on Mint 15). On earlier versions of Xfce, I could grab any place on the panel (Xfce before 4.6?).
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

cwsnyder wrote:Mint 15, which does not come with a supported Xfce variant, and Xubuntu 13.10 do NOT support a bottom panel only per default configuration
If this is right then it seems as if someone must have forgotten to mention so here: [url=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_olivia_xfce.php]Release Notes for Linux Mint 15 Xfce[/url]
Or is it a deficiency which has been detected only after Mint 15 xfce had been released?

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Xfce”