No "busy" mouse pointer?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

No "busy" mouse pointer?

Post by ander111 »

Hi,

Mint XFCE is super! It's noticeably faster than KDE or MATE on my pokey little netbook. An excellent implementation---I have nothing but good things to say about it.

There's just one small oddity I'd like to ask about. When I run a bigger app like Firefox or The GIMP, the mouse pointer should change to the animated "busy" pointer. But it usually doesn't. Sometimes I can see it by moving the pointer to the panel area, but not always.

Anyone know what's up with that? Should I file a bug report? If so, where?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: No "busy" mouse pointer?

Post by xenopeek »

The libraries needed for the busy cursor are installed on Linux Mint Xfce. However, only applications that support that standard will show the busy cursor while loading. For example, both Firefox and LibreOffice are known to integrate poorly with the Linux desktop and neither of them supports this standard (so no busy cursor). GIMP does support the standard, and so should do the busy cursor.

It also depends on your mouse cursor theme (in Mouse and Touchpad > Theme), but is sounds like you have a theme with a busy cursor.

Which version of Linux Mint are you using? Perhaps you are using one an older one, with an older Xfce version?
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

xenopeek wrote:The libraries needed for the busy cursor are installed on Linux Mint Xfce. However, only applications that support that standard will show the busy cursor while loading. For example, both Firefox and LibreOffice are known to integrate poorly with the Linux desktop and neither of them supports this standard (so no busy cursor). GIMP does support the standard, and so should do the busy cursor.
So it's the laurched app that controls the cursor? Not XFCE? I thought maybe XFCE, or a more fundamental part of the OS, showed the "busy" cursor till the app finished launching.

But that doesn't explain why, while FF (for example) is loading, I can move the mouse pointer down to the panel and the "busy" cursor does appear. Then when I move it back to the desktop, it disappears again... Doesn't that mean XFCE does know the app's still loading? Try it yourself and you'll see what I mean. You may need to do this on a slow PC, with many plug-ins added to your FF. ;?)
xenopeek wrote:It also depends on your mouse cursor theme (in Mouse and Touchpad > Theme), but is sounds like you have a theme with a busy cursor.
Yup.
xenopeek wrote:Which version of Linux Mint are you using?
Mint XFCE 14, with all updates... Anyway, it's curious.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't know, perhaps a full-time Xfce user can pitch in with an answer :wink: AFAIK, the application is responsible for telling Xfce it is busy.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

Hey, this is great---I've done some updates (including a dist-upgrade) and now the "busy pointer" appears right away. So someone else out there noticed. Isn't it cool how quickly stuff can get fixed in the Linux world?
iaselle

Post by iaselle »

When creating the launcher, the launcher has "name.desktop" as its name attributes.

Just use your favourite editer to edit this launcher file and add "StartupNotify=true" without the quotes at the end of the file. Save and exit - launch and you will see the mouse pointer change to its working sign!

source :
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1260355

Return to “Xfce”