xfce - resizing-area easteregg-hunt

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wienux

xfce - resizing-area easteregg-hunt

Post by Wienux »

Hello,

I am missing a visible right lower edge resize area in the window design. Sorry, but i really, I dont want to search
for it each time i want to change size?? Is this still patented Amiga design, that prevents a proper design,
or stupidity...
In the damn-long-link below, there is an example of how to do it right. All clickable window parts are clearly visible,
including visible lines indicating and matching their exact boundaries. So one always knows where to click.
Additionally, three edges of each window except for the settings one are function. So one never has to worry
where to hit exactly, when a window is maximized - instead, just move into the according edge, and click once.
Even the scrollbar, hello Windows, does never snap back while using it...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v ... WJfci9tuZT

I tried the irc help channel, and browsed settings manager, but found no solution.
Any suggestions how to tackle this issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: xfce - resizing-area easteregg-hunt

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

How in the HELL does Amiga OS have something to do with Xfce?
Wienux

Post by Wienux »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:How in the HELL does Amiga OS have something to do with Xfce?
They both have a gui. How the hell dont you understand?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I am sorry to tell you Weinux that your topic is anything but clear. The person responding to it did not understand it, I do not understand it, and the post has been reported as off topic by another user who clearly believes it is about Amiga. I suggest you edit the opening post to make it clear what operation system you are using and which desktop environment, then people might be happier about it.
h00ver

Post by h00ver »

Alt + right-click + drag

Xubuntu FAQ
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Wienux wrote:...They both have a gui. How the hell dont you understand?
I have Tang in my kitchen cupboard, doesn't make me an astronaut.
jupiter66

Post by jupiter66 »

I think (not sure!) the author of this post has troubles with windows resize grips in mint13 xfce. In fact, I have this issue too (with xfce composition, but not with compiz). Open any windows and try to resize it (both height et width at the same time) with the mouse only (not the alt-right click trick). You will find that the bottom "grips" (triangles) are very difficult to catch. I see that changing the theme can help a bit but I'm not satisfied with this behaviour. If anyone know how to easily fix this, I'm interested. I understand that this is caused by a change in ubuntu 12.04 that affects xfce but I can't believe we will have to accept this. Compiz is not a workaround because it has many other issues.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

jupiter66 wrote:I understand that this is caused by a change in ubuntu 12.04 that affects xfce but I can't believe we will have to accept this.
I don't think it's an ubu 12.04 thing. The corner grips in Xfce have always been hard to get hold of. It's like they have 1 pixel of active area or something.
jupiter66

Post by jupiter66 »

squeezy wrote:
jupiter66 wrote:I understand that this is caused by a change in ubuntu 12.04 that affects xfce but I can't believe we will have to accept this.
I don't think it's an ubu 12.04 thing. The corner grips in Xfce have always been hard to get hold of. It's like they have 1 pixel of active area or something.
Maybe this behaviour is not "new" (I'm not sure). In fact, I was just pointing to "Method 1" section of this FAQ: http://xubuntu.org/news/window-resizing ... -and-xfce/ (short discussion about feature drop in 12.04)

Anyway, is there a way to improve this?
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Have you tried in you home folder Ctrl+h open file .gtkrc-xfce in gedit, if Maya, if it is not there use .gtkrc-2.0

Add:

Code: Select all

style "default-style"
{
  GtkWindow::resize-grip-height = 3
  GtkWindow::resize-grip-width = 3
}

class "GtkWidget" style "default-style"

Reboot. If I remember correctly it's in pixels so if you want it larger or smaller increase or decrease the variable "3"
jupiter66

Post by jupiter66 »

thank you wyrdoak, but I tried your suggestion (apped to my existing .gtkrc-xfce) and observed no change. Don't we have to modify the theme files instead (mint-x)? I'm not familiar with this but this is what I would like to try...
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

jupiter66 wrote:thank you wyrdoak, but I tried your suggestion (apped to my existing .gtkrc-xfce) and observed no change. Don't we have to modify the theme files instead (mint-x)? I'm not familiar with this but this is what I would like to try...
Go ahead and try it it, you might need to change the .gtkrc file in the theme to get it to work now with all the changes.
jupiter66

Post by jupiter66 »

wyrdoak wrote: Go ahead and try it it, you might need to change the .gtkrc file in the theme to get it to work now with all the changes.
Well, the problem is that I don't know how to modify theme files (what, where, how)...
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

jupiter66 wrote:
wyrdoak wrote: Go ahead and try it it, you might need to change the .gtkrc file in the theme to get it to work now with all the changes.
Well, the problem is that I don't know how to modify theme files (what, where, how)...
I added the above lines to gtk-widgets.css file in gtk-3.0 of the theme, then in gtk-2.0 folder of the theme add the lines to the gtkrc file, as well as the what I said above to the gtkrc-xfce file, this is what I got: Image

EDIT: OK, checked some of the other themes the Xfce themes and the gtk 2 themes it there with a visual target, the gtk 3 themes it's there and works but there is no visual target that I can see, but at least it's a larger target so not quite a hunt for it.
jupiter66

Post by jupiter66 »

Here is what i have done (not sure if it's what you mean):
1) In /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0, I added the above mentionned lines to the gtkrc file.
2) In /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0, I modifed the existing GtkWindow-resize-grip lines to "3" (in gtk-widgets.css file)
3) I still have the added lines in my ~/.gtkrc-xfce

I get a triangle grip (like your picture) but only for the right corner and only in some applications (thunderbird for example, but not in firefox go figure). I also try to completely add the lines in step 2 and get the same thing.

For me, it's not essential to "see" the triangle grips, but I need a grip zone in *both* corners for *all* windows.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

jupiter66, yes I saw that with ForeFox and ThunderBird, also with Chrome the sweet spot seems to be part of the window's shadow as well as the frame, but it still should be easier to "grab" than it was before. In VLC it seems to be a dark triangle in the lower right corner. I can still grab the window frames to re-size also, I think Gnome only really had a visual in the lower right corner.
jupiter66

Post by jupiter66 »

wyrdoak wrote:but it still should be easier to "grab" than it was before. In VLC it seems to be a dark triangle in the lower right corner. I can still grab the window frames to re-size also, I think Gnome only really had a visual in the lower right corner.
No it's not easier than it was before, except for some apps like Thunderbird and VLC (and only for the right corner). Never had this problem in gnome2 or gnome3 environnements. Since mint13-xfce is seen as an option to replace good-old-mints, I'm very surprised by this issue (and by the absence of reaction from other users).
Johnnydadda

Post by Johnnydadda »

It is still an issue - usability sacrificed for pretty interface design.
Mint needs to include options to increase the size of the resizing area and scroll bars as part of the Settings and not assume everyone has 20/20 vision.
jupiter66

Post by jupiter66 »

If the problem still exist, I suggest to use Compiz in xfce. It was buggy in 12.04 but now it's good.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Johnnydadda wrote:It is still an issue - usability sacrificed for pretty interface design.
Mint needs to include options to increase the size of the resizing area and scroll bars as part of the Settings and not assume everyone has 20/20 vision.
My vision is most assuredly NOT 20/20 :roll: . But I don't have any trouble resizing windows. Considering that there are multiple ways to do it (Alt Right-Click drag, right-clicking on the window's representation on the panel (when using Window Buttons) and selecting Resize, grabbing the sides/corners of the window with the mouse cursor and dragging, and possibly more ways that I don't know about)... I have trouble walking from time to time and steps can be quite a challenge. I have to go to the seventh floor of a building tomorrow afternoon. There is an elevator there. But I want to use the steps. And, since those steps are built for people with fully-functioning knees and hips, they don't always work real well for me. This is NOT acceptable! The steps must be demolished and a replacement set of "half-height" stairs must be installed in their place.

Or... I could just use that elevator, lol. :lol: :roll:

If having a thin "grab rail" bothers you, use a theme with thicker window borders. That's a choice. Or use one of the other methods for resizing. Those are also choices. OtOH, trying to get the mechanics of the thing changed across the board... That's not a choice (or, alternatively, you're wanting to make a "choice" for everyone). I like thin window borders. Many people do. If we have a "thick resizing grab area" thrust upon us, we either end up with thick borders - OR we have the situation of thin (visible) borders but ones which in actual practice, are thick. IOW, if you make the grab area thicker than the border, you've either encroached on the window beside it or have encroached on the windows "inner space," which means that items within that window can no longer be placed - and manipulated - right up to the border.

Yeah... The current way of doing things is fine, has more than enough options, and does not restrict/impinge on other space either within or without. IMHO, of course.

Giving multiple options - that's great. It provides ways for those with disabilities to achieve a thing. Instead changing the default behavior of something to suit a relative few people, well... That, in essence, is akin to "handicapping" the rest of the user base in the name of "unhandicapping" (not a word, I know) the few. While this might be acceptable if there are NO comparable options, this is most definitely not the case here.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”