<SOLVED (sort of)> Cant add anything to repository! HELP!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lwfitz

<SOLVED (sort of)> Cant add anything to repository! HELP!

Post by lwfitz »

Hi Im running Mint 11 x64 KDE Vanilla and have been able to get everything else working and stable except this. When I tried to add Plymouth theme manager to my repository with this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mefrio-g/plymouthmanager 
I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/apt-add-repository", line 60, in <module> 
    sp = SoftwareProperties()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 90, in __init__
    self.reload_sourceslist()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 538, in reload_sourceslist
    self.distro.get_sources(self.sourceslist)   
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 91, in get_sources
    raise NoDistroTemplateException("Error: could not find a "
aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template

I really hope someone can help me with this so I can stop pulling my hair out.......... theres not much left :D Thanks in advance for the help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Cant add anything to repository! HELP!

Post by zerozero »

try with

sudo add-apt-repository
and let us know
lwfitz

Post by lwfitz »

zerozero wrote:try with

sudo add-apt-repository
and let us know
Thank you for the quick response, but unfortunately no luck. This is the error I get

Error: need a repository as argument

lwfitz

Post by lwfitz »

Im sort of at a loss with this one. I guess I can reinstall Mint if it looks like maybe I screwed something up somewhere but Im hoping not to do that.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ok, i should have been more explicit;
- you were trying this

and was not working
i gave you this

sudo add-apt-repository
as a possible solution, but you need the ppa there, that is just a correction for the first part of the command (that was wrong)

now, try this bellow

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mefrio-g/plymouthmanager
lwfitz

Post by lwfitz »

zerozero wrote:ok, i should have been more explicit;
- you were trying this

and was not working
i gave you this

sudo add-apt-repository
as a possible solution, but you need the ppa there, that is just a correction for the first part of the command (that was wrong)

now, try this bellow

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mefrio-g/plymouthmanager
Oh crap........... lol oops yeah I shouldve caught that. Im not totally brain dead I swear :oops:.
So I tried it and got the same error

raceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 60, in <module>
    sp = SoftwareProperties()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 90, in __init__
    self.reload_sourceslist()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 538, in reload_sourceslist
    self.distro.get_sources(self.sourceslist)    
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 91, in get_sources
    raise NoDistroTemplateException("Error: could not find a "
aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template
Like I said I can just reinstall if it comes to that but Id prefer not to and also to know how to fix it incase it happens with the next install. Also I guess I should tell you that this ppa has worked in the past so I know its good.
lwfitz

Post by lwfitz »

Figured it out! Apparently I removed to much when I was removing Gnome. I accidentally removed the mint update package.......... once I re-installed that it started working correctly. :mrgreen:
Thank you for all the help!
lwfitz

Post by lwfitz »

Ok so I marked this as solved but I guess I have one more issue that sort of related. Now I have Synaptic installed along with Mint update but Id prefer not to use Synaptic Id rather use adept. If I remove synaptic it also removes Mint update and then I get the not distro template error. So my question is how would I get rid of synaptic and use adept without getting that error?
doublet30

Re: <SOLVED (sort of)> Cant add anything to repository! HELP

Post by doublet30 »

The error regarding distribution template is refering to the file "/etc/lsb-release" It should read something like...

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=oneiric
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 11.10"

The ubuntu version depends on the version of mint you are using. You should be able to change the DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION to change the name of the OS during grub boot but you can't change the rest without breaking the source.list distribution template.
mookie1097
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mookie1097 »

Changing

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=17
DISTRIB_CODENAME=qiana
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17 Qiana"
to

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17 Qiana"
solved my distribution template problem. I didn't have to change the description.
farvardin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by farvardin »

I can confirm this bug. On 3 different linux mint installation I got this error when for example installing kxstudio: http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

Probably linux mint should declare itself into being ubuntu

Return to “Software & Applications”