Install Plasma 5.5 on Mint KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vividvibe

Install Plasma 5.5 on Mint KDE

Post by vividvibe »

I just installed Mint KDE 17.3 and I noticed that a newer version of Plasma has been released. I am interested in updating Plasma to 5.5 and try as I may, I cannot find any useful or definitive explanations on how to go about doing that. I was wondering if any of you have done this successfully and if so, could you possibly steer me in the right direction. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Install Plasma 5.5 on Mint KDE

Post by Hoser Rob »

Well, you'd have to use a ppa source because it isn't in the repositories. Which means it is not beta tested for your release version. If that doesn't sound scary it should.

I have 2 mint 17 installs and no ppa sources. I've used .deb files to install Chrome and Adobe Reader and that's it. I won't touch tarball file installation unless it's something I really need. I don't need anything that bad.

Ppas are not a good idea generally. They can break things. There are many posts by linux beginners who have a bunch of them and cannot update anything anymore. I don't use them even for app software. A desktop environment? Forget it.

There's a basic conflict in Linux between stability and having the newest of everything. Debian (which ubuntu/mint/others use as a base) stable is VERY stable, which is why it's so popular for servers. But you won't get very new software. Ubuntu is based on Debian testing, which is quite stable but you still won't get the newest versions.

If you really have to have the newest of everything you'd really want a true rolling release distro, which won't have version numbers. But those are meant for serious linux geeks. Updating will break things at times, and you need pretty good recovery skills. Rolling releases are not suitable for beginners.

I'm not saying not to install the newest version, or use a rolling release, but it'd be best on a computer you don't really need. I wouldn't do something like that on my only computer.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
groze

Post by groze »

I don't think most PPAs are bad. Even when you install mint, you still use a PPA and even ppa for updates and upgrades. I use a few PPAs for my system. Grub Customizer and Seamonkey PPAs.

However, I have been trying to install Kde 5.x just to see what it looks like. Even with different flavors of Ubuntu it is impossible to install. I even tried compiling which didn't pan out. I don't why kde.org calls 5.x stable. I did have a problem trying to use the kde ppa. The problem is Linux Mint 17.x doesn't have all the needed libraries for 17.3. They are suppose to have KDE 5.4 or higher in the next beta if I read the announcement correctly.

If you really want the Kde 5.x but it still has some Kde4 stuff. The easiest way is to install Opensuse tumbleweed, it will automatically update to that version within a week or so (May already have it). OpenSuse Leap 42.x 64 bit is a little harder but will also work as well. You do need is good backups. I actually posting this from my OpenSuse Kde 5.x but I still prefer my Linux mint XFCE 17.3
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

groze wrote:I don't think most PPAs are bad. Even when you install mint, you still use a PPA and even ppa for updates and upgrades. I use a few PPAs for my system. Grub Customizer and Seamonkey PPAs.

However, I have been trying to install Kde 5.x just to see what it looks like. Even with different flavors of Ubuntu it is impossible to install. I even tried compiling which didn't pan out. I don't why kde.org calls 5.x stable. I did have a problem trying to use the kde ppa. The problem is Linux Mint 17.x doesn't have all the needed libraries for 17.3. They are suppose to have KDE 5.4 or higher in the next beta if I read the announcement correctly.

If you really want the Kde 5.x but it still has some Kde4 stuff. The easiest way is to install Opensuse tumbleweed, it will automatically update to that version within a week or so (May already have it). OpenSuse Leap 42.x 64 bit is a little harder but will also work as well. You do need is good backups. I actually posting this from my OpenSuse Kde 5.x but I still prefer my Linux mint XFCE 17.3

You're using a ppa when you install mint? You don't know much about linux software sources.

Installing from ppa means it's not tested for your version. End of story. I don't touch them unless there's something I actually need.

Noobs installing beta/rc releases is as nuts as noobs installing a DE from a ppa.

I agree that if you want the newest KDE or whatever then a rolling release like tumbleweed or arch is the way to go. But that opens another can f worms for noobs. They're not meant for beginners. Expect things to break, and do not expect hand holding from their support sites,
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
groze

Post by groze »

Hoser Rob wrote:
groze wrote:I don't think most PPAs are bad. Even when you install mint, you still use a PPA and even ppa for updates and upgrades. I use a few PPAs for my system. Grub Customizer and Seamonkey PPAs.

You're using a ppa when you install mint? You don't know much about linux software sources.

Installing from ppa means it's not tested for your version. End of story. I don't touch them unless there's something I actually need.

Noobs installing beta/rc releases is as nuts as noobs installing a DE from a ppa.

I agree that if you want the newest KDE or whatever then a rolling release like tumbleweed or arch is the way to go. But that opens another can f worms for noobs. They're not meant for beginners. Expect things to break, and do not expect hand holding from their support sites,

I didn't mean it that way. If you open up Linux mint software source and click on the PPA, you will see a couple of ppas that is already including with the default installation, I didn't install it using a ppa. Technically, they are all called software repositories. On installing an additional desktop environment via command line, it really depends on your distro & sometime even the version-my experience. In fact my triple boot system I use is Lubuntu 14.04 with xfce desktp installed, that xfce was installed using the terminal. I also use Linux Mint XFCE 17.3 and Windows 7. I prefer the lts type of releases.

Return to “Software & Applications”