Desktop effects additional icon...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Desktop effects additional icon...

Post by thom_A »

Is there a way I can add an icon that would launch the equivalent Alt+Shift+F12 effect in KDE?

I have poor eyesight and I use the zoom feature occasionally. In Windows there's a simple Magnifier icon in the Accessories folder. In Cinnamon you can add an Accessibility applet on the panel and just configure whatever accessibility option you want. In other words, you don't have to press a keyboard combination to run it.

I just want to stick with KDE and I'm loving it, and the only reason why Cinnamon is still a boot option in my system is because of the Accessibility/Zoom applet, which KDE doesn't appear to have.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mr.October

Re: Desktop effects additional icon...

Post by Mr.October »

thom_A wrote:Is there a way I can add an icon that would launch the equivalent Alt+Shift+F12 effect in KDE?

I have poor eyesight and I use the zoom feature occasionally. In Windows there's a simple Magnifier icon in the Accessories folder. In Cinnamon you can add an Accessibility applet on the panel and just configure whatever accessibility option you want. In other words, you don't have to press a keyboard combination to run it.

I just want to stick with KDE and I'm loving it, and the only reason why Cinnamon is still a boot option in my system is because of the Accessibility/Zoom applet, which KDE doesn't appear to have.
Hi, have you looked in the KDE settings under effects? When you open System settings --> Desktop Effects --> All Effects you see an effect called zoom. Mark the tickbox on the left and click the button with the geared wheel on the right. You now see some actions which are attached to button combinations. Mind the combo's and close that window. In the All Effects window click on Apply to start the effect after which you can close the system settings all together.
Just play around with this to see if this is what you want.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "thom_A",

I just read your post and the excellent reply to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

In the same section Mr. October mentioned ("System Settings', "Desktop Effects" , "All Effects") are the "Magnifier" and "looking glass" options as well as the "Zoom" option. You might want to make this section full screen to see the entire descriptions.

"Zoom" magnifies the entire desktop, "Magnifier" magnifies the area around the mouse cursor, "Looking Glass" is a screen magnifier that looks like a fish eye lens. to the right of each are their settings with keyboard shortcuts that you could change, not that you should. The "Meta" key is the same as the "Windows" Key. It would be best to try each one and see which you like and that works best for you.

And, in the System Settings, there is also the "Shortcuts and Gestures" option which is where you can see, and change, and add keyboard shortcuts. Keep in mind that there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts, globally for the whole system, and others specific for applications, and there could be conflicts with a key combination that you may want to use. The system will usually tell you of any conflicts, but not always. You can always enter your own shortcut like using the Function Key (like "F10") to represent another set of key strokes.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I appreciate your responses, gentlemen. I've actually been using the Zoom effect in the Desktop system settings, and it's checked by default.

What I was asking is if there is a point-and-click solution *without* using the keyboard combinations just like in Windows and Cinnamon. It could be an icon that you can toggle which is the equivalent of Alt+Shift+F12. Then up and down arrow symbols (or + and - signs) to adjust magnification (again, not keyboard presses).

Anyways, I don't think there is a solution to this. Thanks, anyway.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi thom_A,

I have never needed this Zoom feature, but, even without an icon, or widget (applet), I think hitting the two keys, "meta (win) =", to zoom in is pretty easy, and you can easily change that to a single key for this, like "F10", or "=" to zoom in, and "F11", or "-", to zoom out (meta -), or to go back to original screen size "Meta(win) 0" using the wrench settings next to the zoom desktop effect. I think using the function keys is better, so that I can still use the "=" and "-" keys in my text, but that is up to you. For this post and because on my keyboard my Meta (WIn) key is on the far left, and none on the right, I changed mine to use the "Alt =" for Zoom in, and "Alt -" to zoom out, and "Alt 0" to go back to original screen, so I could use one hand to do this. You could also use the left bracket "[" and right bracket "]" for zooming in and zooming out, because how often do you use those for anything else.

When I am in a Zoomed screen, I can use my mouse (thanks to "mouse tracking" in the same settings area) instead of the arrow keys to to move around the zoomed screen without clicking anything or using any keys. There are a few options: "enable focus tracking", "follow focus", & the various "Mouse Tracking" options. Again, you will have to experiment to see which combinations of these, or all of them, works best for you.

FYI: using up and down arrow "keys", or the plus or minus "keys" are key presses.

I'm sure there is a way to create an desktop icon and assign keystrokes to it, but what for, when these various zoom features are already available, built-in?

ActionAZ - is a task automation tool. It allows you to create and execute action lists, including assigning keystrokes to mouse actions and much more.
https://wiki.actiona.tools/doku.php?id=en:start

Mouse shortcuts with xbindkeys, Emulate key presses
http://blog.hanschen.org/2009/10/13/mou ... xbindkeys/

Hope this helps ...
KDE_Zoom2.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi thom_A,

Another option that you might find appealing, and very useful, is to install and use "speech recognition" software with a microphone, and or headset with a microphone. A lot of webcams also have microphones too. Most of these programs require you to take some time to train them to your voice, but once that's done, you should be able to use them quite effectively.

"Simon" is an open source speech recognition program that can replace your mouse and keyboard, or be used in conjunction with your mouse and keyboard. The system is designed to be as flexible as possible and will work with any language or dialect.
https://simon.kde.org/

Meet "Simon", the Linux Speech Recognition Engine
https://www.maketecheasier.com/simon-li ... cognition/

Google - linux speech recognition
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=li ... ecognition

Inside "Palaver": Linux Speech Recognition that Taps Google's Voice Technology and much more on this topic...
http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobi ... ecognition

How to install Linux Palaver speech recognition in Ubuntu
http://www.linuxveda.com/2013/03/19/how ... in-ubuntu/

Hope this helps ...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi thom_A,

I just found an interesting screen magnifier program in my Utilities menu called "KMag", which can be added to your desktop, or system tray panel, or invoked with a shortcut key, and provides a screen magnifier window with options. If it is not in your menu check the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

Hope this helps ...
KMag.jpg

Return to “Software & Applications”