Dolphin fish unmount

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepsender

Dolphin fish unmount

Post by deepsender »

hello,

Long time Linux user/developer on Ubuntu. New to KDE and Dolphin/Konqueror.

I share a machine with others at work.

I sometimes like to connect to a server under a GUI, and in this case, Dolphin under Mint 17.2. I did it successfully today by pressing F6 and typing "fish://user@server", and typing my password.

Very quick and nice connection. Looks very clean.

Ok, I'm done... now how to disconnect? How to unmount my server connection?

Could not find this function anywhere. Searched high and low. I rebooted the machine and that seemed to break my connection to the server. I have to share this machine with other instructors who come in and out of the room hourly.

How to disconnect/unmount a Dolphin fish server connection, without rebooting?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Dolphin fish unmount

Post by LindseyD. »

To my knowledge, there is no way. Maybe through the command line?

I always use Dolphin in split screen mode. One panel is the connection to the server, so closing that panel would not show the connection to anyone else using the machine.

If there is a command line way, pressing F4 will show the terminal, on the directory/disc/server/ where Dolphin is connected to. So it's not much of a hassle to access the command line.

Or maybe you could set up the server to automatically disconnect after a fixed idle time?

I did find this: http://www.krusader.org/documentation/r ... tions.html so KDE has a way to do it, I guess through the avahi-daemon? I have to confess this was all way over my head.
Mint17 KDE
deepsender

Post by deepsender »

LindseyD, tomorrow I'll bring up a terminal with F4 and type Ctrl-D or exit. Maybe that will work.

I suppose using ps in a local terminal to look for an sftp process, and then kill it.

Thanks for the help.
irishwoody

Post by irishwoody »

How to disconnect/unmount a Dolphin fish server connection, without rebooting?

As far as I know all you need to do is exit dolphin -
I think dolphin mounts are "internal to" dolphin unlike gvfs mounts in gnome which once mounted can be accessed through shell.

Tips
1. You can set-up mount connection entries in the places panel in dolphin - righ click in the places panel and add entry. That way you dont have to type "fish://user@remote_server" each time you want the mount - just click the saved entry in the places panel
2. When running dolphin press F4 - should open terminal window. When you double click on a folder on local storage or device mounted by fstab the active directory changes to the one you double click in panel. If I do same with a "fish mount" i does not - so looks like the mount is not available to command line / shell.

Anyhow I suggest you just exit dolphin to unmount.. Should be no need for a reboot.

People..... Please correct me if I am wrong ?

Return to “Software & Applications”