Tomb Raider 2013 bug.. seems mint/KDE specific

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
imneo88

Tomb Raider 2013 bug.. seems mint/KDE specific

Post by imneo88 »

I'm running an Intel I7-960 on an Intel DX850G mainboard with 12Gig of RAM and an AMD HD 6790 Vid Card.
And Linux Mint 17.2 (fully updated as of 8-15-15) KDE Edition 64 bit.

The problem I'm experiencing is as follows: I've installed Tomb Raider 3 different ways in WINE and have gotten the same results with each, regardless of the WINE VERSION I USE.

#1- WINE'S LINUX BASED TOMB RAIDER INSTALL (In LINUX STEAM)
#2- PlayOnLinux Windows Based Tomb Raider install
#3- Manual setup and install through wine and a downloaded windows setup.exe for steam.

The last 2 were Steam's provided Tomb Raider download and install.

Each time the same results; black screens specifically on JUST the SAVE GAME MENU and LARA'S JOURNAL ENTRIES. The same overlay is used in the game for 2D and 3D when showing items like COINS AND MASKS and that works well, but NOTHING WITH ANY TEXT IN IT.

I believe this is LinuxMint KDE specific considering I CANNOT for the life of me find a fix or any suggestions as to why it's doing this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DeMus

Re: Tomb Raider 2013 bug.. seems mint/KDE specific

Post by DeMus »

You say it is a KDE something. I doubt that. I think it is Wine. Not every Windows program runs well in Wine. Once in Wine what is still used which is made by KDE? How can this be the cause of the problems? I sincerely doubt what you are saying.
imneo88

Post by imneo88 »

Can you please read the post before replying. It works perfect without a problem in other Linux builds with the same WINE, same settings.. soooooo, either it's a KDE issue or linux mint; either way, IT IS NOT A WINE ISSUE!
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

imneo88 wrote:Can you please read the post before replying.
I read it. The only thing I saw (in that regard) was this:
imneo88 wrote:I believe this is LinuxMint KDE specific considering I CANNOT for the life of me find a fix or any suggestions as to why it's doing this.
I saw no statement from you about which other DEs/distros that you have tried on your specific hardware combination in which your issue did not occur.

Perhaps DeMus also failed to see such a thing (since it was not there, lol)?
imneo88 wrote:It works perfect without a problem in other Linux builds with the same WINE, same settings.. soooooo, either it's a KDE issue or linux mint; either way, IT IS NOT A WINE ISSUE!
Now that bit of information, while somewhat belated, might be helpful... If you can further clarify - to wit, does it work "perfect without a problem in other linux builds with the same WINE, same settings" on your computer? Or on other people's hardware? Or (I'm going to assume it's not this one, since a lack of evidence... isn't really evidence :roll: , but feel that I should still ask in order to get the best clarification possible) are you merely taking a lack of negative reports as a sign that everyone using other distros/DEs are having no issues?

OtOH, you could, of course, be correct that it's a "Mint and/or KDE" issue. Something related to Qt, maybe. Have you seen/tried these?

Code: Select all

http://goona.ru/tv.php?video=KikVFq-7YmM
https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-bugs/2010-April/222994.html
http://askubuntu.com/questions/214361/steam-not-displaying-text-on-wine-1-5-running-on-ubuntu-12-04
Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
imneo88

Post by imneo88 »

Ok, here's the thing. I have several things to say. 1) I'm trying to report a problem and don't appreciate the attitude I'm getting from the previous poster.
2) It is a sincere and legitimate post, made after DOING MY OWN RESEARCH ON THE MATTER. ( about 20 HOURS WORTH! )
3) It is not a dwrite.dll issue because, as you can see, I can actually log on to Steam and get to the game.

I do not "Dual Boot" operating systems. My Linux Mint system is 100% Linux Mint KDE 64 bit and is the ONLY Linux version in this house.

I posted on here, because I've had enough of trying to research a problem for which I've found no answers. NO, I'm NOT WILLING TO INSTALL "OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS" just to prove my point..

#4) I say that this problem is Linux Mint and KDE specific.. as I stated because of the lack of problem reports and troubleshooting for this EXACT ISSUE. Every video I've watched on Youtube regarding setting up, installing the Steam, Wine, and Tomb Raider combo has had the TEXT THAT I'M MISSING... IN THE GAME

#5) I've tried 5 different WINE versions, each within the 3 different install parameters mentioned above, including the "Tomb Raider" version.. I get the same results regardless of which WINE version, regardless of whether or not I'm using Linux Steam or Windown Steam version, and regardless of whether or not I'm running the Linux Tomb Raider or the Windows Version!

I have made EVERY REASONABLE ATTEMPT TO FIND A SOLUTION MYSELF.. So, I'm asking, can you please be reasonable and consider my problems?
imneo88

Post by imneo88 »

I digress, and apologize for my attitude.. my suspicions were always that it was a "compatibility layer" issue with something like quick time, however, I could NOT find any direct link, linking my issue to the quick time bug that you linked to me in your post.

I will try this soon, and repost my results. ;)
imneo88

Post by imneo88 »

I'm thinking this problem is being caused by Mint's implimentation of the gnome-keyring for 64 bit systems. When I ran WINE in terminal mode it showed a HUGE PLETHORA of errors regarding this NOT BEING INSTALLED.. so I installed the i386 files it was looking for ( libp11-kit-gnome-keyring:i386 ) and the errors in WINE'S terminal window went away, however, now in Tomb Raiders Log file it's showing:

15:18:29:159 (0068) > The request (GetPlayerProfileFrom) [Id:0] hasn't been setup properly.
15:18:30:870 (0068) > Request (GetPlayerProfileFrom) [Id:1] failed ! [Status:403] [DownloadEvent:Unauthorized Error] [HttpError:Response Status Code] [ServerError:Invalid Ticket]
15:18:37:010 (0068) > Request (SEM_Login) [Id:2] failed ! [Status:403] [DownloadEvent:Unauthorized Error]

as if the connection encryption between my PC and the Steam server isn't quite right, and it cannot download the info it needs. The actual time stamp on this error is exactly when i open the game.. and I get no other errors, or problems with gameplay. I just can't see ANY text at all on the Save Game Slot portion of the game.. which makes it VERY hard to restart where you left off, especially if you like to play different levels from time to time. ;)

I've also tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling directX, tried DX10, even tried reinstalling MSCoreFonts package from WINE. The ONLY thing left I can try, is copying MSFonts from an existing PC to see if one of the font files is corrupted and possibly causing the Quick Time bug that a previous poster mentioned above.. though, this isn't really applicable since I'm running WINE in Windows XP compatibility now. ;) But I'll post my results soon. ;)
imneo88

Post by imneo88 »

I fixed the Gnome-Keyring problem. It was looking for libraries (apparently) that were ONLY available in 32bit and didn't come standard on KDE-Mint-X64

I copied ALL my fonts from my Windows PC to the Windows/Fonts folder in this POL "Virtual Drive" however, I'm not sure how to "register" the fonts and I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction there? IE: Getting the Wine version of Windows to recognize the Fonts that I copied in??

The problem still persists: Tomb Raider runs great, but text is missing from popup, or overlay windows such as the game save menu and lara's logs, etc. Text is fine everywhere else.

Could Winemenubuilder being disabled be the culprit? It's disabled by default in PlayOnLinux and I can't seem to figure out how to turn it on.

P.S. I installed Skyrim in this same exact POL/WINE/STEAM installation and that game runs fine, great even.. text and ALL!
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

imneo88 wrote:The problem still persists: Tomb Raider runs great, but text is missing from popup, or overlay windows such as the game save menu and lara's logs, etc.
Your preserverence tells me that this must be a good game. The only games I've played with any regularity in linux are SDL Slash'EM (which I appear to be addicted to, although I am terrible at it), AisleRiot, SuperTuxKart, and a single-player "action" role-playing game I recently discovered called Flare. I'd play Darklands (via a DOS emulator) if I could ever find my original map/documentation, because I always thought it was the best game (of its type) I've ever played - good enough that I'd be more than willing to see the 23-year old graphics again, lol. I hope you eventually discover exactly what the issue is and find a solution, and thank you for keeping this thread updated.
imneo88 wrote:Could Winemenubuilder being disabled be the culprit? It's disabled by default in PlayOnLinux and I can't seem to figure out how to turn it on.
PlayOnLinux and PlayOnMac deliberately disables winemenubuilder.exe.so, so that the program can control more easily the wine version assigned to each shortcut.

If you want to force PlayOnLinux to enable winemenubuilder, add the following line into $HOME/.PlayOnLinux/configurations/custom (Linux) or $HOME/Library/PlayOnMac/configurations/custom (Mac OS)

export WINEDLLOVERRIDES=""
...from the web page at:

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/page-26-Winemenubuilder.html
imneo88 wrote:P.S. I installed Skyrim in this same exact POL/WINE/STEAM installation and that game runs fine, great even.. text and ALL!
Not knowing anything about either game, I realize this is probably a stupid question. But are both games developed by the same people? If so, have you considered contacting them, explaining your issue, mentioning that it is present in one but not the other, and asking them if they could tell you what differences in the two games might be making the difference? It'd be a chance to let them know that they have fans who run linux instead of a Microsoft OS (they probably already know that, lol, but...).

A late thought: The "...so that the program can control more easily the wine version assigned to each shortcut" in the bit I quoted above from PlayOnLinux makes me wonder if those two games might be assigned different wine versions?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
imneo88

Post by imneo88 »

_____ ****** Please MOVE this to Cinnamon ***** _____

And yes, it's a great game for being a linear, role playing, first person shooter, action/adventure game with a story-line. The graphics are immense and intense, the gaming difficulty increases on a decent linear scale as the game progresses, etc, etc. My only complaint with the game is the linear aspect of it. It's all "trigger" based, and by that I mean there are NO time limits to do ANY of the tasks in the game which takes out a LOT of the challenge, in my opinion.

AND IT DOES PLAY WELL ON LINUX!! I've tried all 3 variants and all 3 play equally well. The Linux Native Tomb Raider inside of Linux Native Steam, PlayonLinux version with the scripted install, and the Windows version running in Wine.. all 3 work equally as well, but all 3 are missing text from Lara's Logs and from the Save Game menu.
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

Where did you find a native Linux version in Steam?

I have it on Steam but it doesn't appear in the Linux client. The web page also shows it's only for Windows and OSX: http://store.steampowered.com/app/203160/
imneo88

Post by imneo88 »

I've reposted this "BUG" in the correct category IE: Mint Cinnamon Desktop Environment
AS far as answering your question about the Linux version of Tomb Raider, It was (I believe) installed through the Linux version of Steam. And I think it was the ONLY game in my Steam library that would install in the Linux version of Steam. Which is why I, eventually, just opted to go with the Windows Version. ;)
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

But it doesn't seem to exist... Are you sure it was the Linux version of the Steam client? If you didn't install it yourself, someone could have made it work through Wine.
imneo88

Post by imneo88 »

This bug post can be deleted by ADMINS! I've confirmed that this bug is NOT specific to Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 Rafael X86_64 in ANY way.. it also exists in Manjaro Linux XFCE X86_64 (an ARCH varient) and with every WINE header I've tried through PlayOnLInux.

I believe it's something as simple as a missing FONT but I can't determine which font it is. I've installed the MSCOREFONTS and the recommended Tahoma and still have the problem. (unless the Tahoma didn't install properly??)

Return to “Software & Applications”