Adding items to panel

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Adding items to panel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I recently changed from mate to KDE and overall prefer KDE but I noticed that adding stuff to the panel is really weird. When I go to drag the item to the area I want before I'm even done all the screens go black, applications minimize, and then I lose what I was doing, AND existing items get shuffled all over. Why does it do this? What is the proper way to add new items such as folders and launchers to a panel without it doing that?

Also how do you change the icon of a folder? I added a folder and it just shows a red folder, I want to change it to something else. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pacho37

Re: Adding items to panel

Post by pacho37 »

Hope I understand your issue right. instead of drag-dropping maybe you should try to right-click the panel and choose Panel Options - Add Widgets? this will allow you to add folders and various launchers to the panel.
To move items already added to the panel click the Panel toolbox icon (it is located in the panel's right corner) then hover the mouse over the item you want to move which will make four arrows visible, then you can just drag items till they snap to possible locations.
in case something goes wrong you can always delete the current panel and then right-click on the desktop and and add default panel to happily experiment further ;-)
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Adding items to panel

Post by Red Squirrel »

That's what I was doing, but you still need to drag the item to where you want it. I eventually managed to get it but it was excruciating. Also whenever I reboot the desktop switcher gets shifted upwards "inside" the task bar so I only see the bottom two (I have it set as two rows of 2). I have to delete and readd. But on similar note, and it may somehow be related, my 3 monitors arn't actually lined up correctly despite being lined up in the display control panel. If I drag my mouse along the top in one direction it gets caught as one monitor is actually lower than the other. How do I get them aligned? I have a feeling it's somehow related.

Return to “Software & Applications”