Cannot start KDM/KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hstoellinger

Cannot start KDM/KDE

Post by hstoellinger »

Hello,
I run Linux Mint 17.1 with KDE 4.14.2 as installed with the Mint 17.1. Unfortunately since some update two days ago my desktop is broken. When I boot the system, I get the "cogwheel" alright, but then - instead of the normal flash picture of Linux Mint + KDE (it builds itself up within a couple of seconds) my various autostarted applications (eg. LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Kate,...) start but the control bar (in my case at the bottom of the screen) does not appear. Neither can I switch virtual desktops. I guess this has something to do with kdm. In any case I am at a loss to know what to do - I certainly don't want to go through reinstalling all of Mint. Reinstalling KDE 4.14.2 didn't help either!! >:(
Any ideas (in spite of this rather vague description)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cannot start KDM/KDE

Post by LindseyD. »

OK, these are just ideas because I have no idea what's going on, except maybe something got overwritten with the updates.

1. Check your system settings to see if you still have multiple virtual desktops enabled.

2. By "control bar" do you mean the panel where the open apps are listed, and the menu icon is located? Also the clock, etc? If so, see if you can add a panel (right-click on an empty space on the desktop, and you should have an Add Panel option).

3. Check if you haven't borked your activities. I just went through that nightmare. WinKey-Q will tell you how many activities you have and which is running. It doesn't matter that you never used activities. KDE is now calling your default desktop an activity. Actually, it calls it New Activity. Very confusing.

4. However you updated, check in that program (mint-update, synaptic, etc). There should be a history of updates. In Mint-update it's View->History of updates. You might have inadvertently updated Xorg or something else that borked the desktop.

Best of luck.
Mint17 KDE
hstoellinger

Re: Cannot start KDM/KDE

Post by hstoellinger »

Thanks for bothering to help me! I have given up on the issue - seeing as Mint 17.2 is now available. I installed it and everything works like a charm!
Regards
H. Stoellinger
Salzburg

Return to “Software & Applications”