Windows key - ksuperkey

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marlenejo

Windows key - ksuperkey

Post by marlenejo »

Coming from windows, I am still surprised that Mint does not come with the windows (meta key) active. It is very frustrating for migrating windows users which use that key often on MS OS. Still there is a tiny program which make it so easy and transparent. It is call ksuperkey. I t was suggested here 2 years ago by someone here too. It would be a very really good idea to include it in new releases.

In the meantime. for those interested, here is a way to get it working ;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mehanik/ksuperkey
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ksuperkey
ksuperkey

To install permanently on reboot launch ; System Settings → Startup and Shutdown → Autostart → Add Program -> ksuperkey
That should work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DeMus

Re: Windows key - ksuperkey

Post by DeMus »

In all the years starting at around 1992 I have used, and still use, Windows at work, I have never ever used that key.
What does it do in Windows? Sorry, am at home, no Windows here, only open windows to cool of the place. :D
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it toggles the Start Menu - in win_7

it toggles the Metro screen / desktop - in win_8x

it does < sometimes > toggle the Start Menu - in certain Linux O/Ss.

it can be programmed under Linux - to do the same function.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
rbmorse

Post by rbmorse »

It's a KDE thing. In Cinnamon, the win superkey toggles the start menu by default, as expected.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

Actually, it provide access to the menu but mostly to the search function. I found it more convenient then the convoluted alt-F2 search.
irishwoody

Post by irishwoody »

+1 for ksuperkey - works a charm

Return to “Software & Applications”