KDE How to sort icons & widgets on virtual desktops by name

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

KDE How to sort icons & widgets on virtual desktops by name

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

I am using Linux Mint KDE 17.1, how do you sort icons and or widgets on virtual desktops, for example by name, like you can easily do in the regular KDE desktop by right-clicking the desktop? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: KDE How to sort icons & widgets on virtual desktops by n

Post by mr_raider »

right click on the desktop and go settings.

Make sure your desktop layout is set as folder, then apply.

Then go back into settings and look at the icon tab.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: KDE How to sort icons & widgets on virtual desktops by n

Post by phd21 »

mr_raider wrote:right click on the desktop and go settings.
Make sure your desktop layout is set as folder, then apply.
Then go back into settings and look at the icon tab.
Hi mr_raider,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Not sure this answered my question the way I wanted it, though. Perhaps I need to explain myself a little better.

Originally, using the normal non-virtual KDE desktop, I had around 32 icons on my desktop. That's a lot of icons, and a very busy screen. Of course because it is the KDE desktop, I could control every aspect of the desktop, including sorting icons, adding shortcuts to files and folders, etc... Then I realized that I could reduce the "cluttered desktop" by creating virtual desktops and categorize my desktops around various programs and functions, see an example below:

Issue: If I set the desktop 1 & desktop 3 to the "folders" layout as you recommended, then I have all the original desktop programs and functions including all my original 32+ icons and the full right-click menus, including icon sorting, & their own wallpaper, . BUT, If I delete an icon on Desktop 1, it also deletes it from Desktop3 that is also set to "folders" layout and so on. I do not want that to happen.

Original Question: If I leave one or more of the "virtual Desktops" as "default desktop" layout option, I can add the application icons from the menus like normal (right click - add to desktop) that I want for this desktop screen only, they show-up on this desktop screen only and they work; BUT, I cannot move, re-arrange, or sort them by name or whatever, and the full normal desktop right click menus are not there including the ability to sort icons; which is not a huge issue. It seems that If I add the applications I want on that virtual desktop in the order I want them, for example by name, then it's all good. It would be really nice to have the full right click desktop menus on the virtual desktops, including the ability to sort the icons, etc...

Example of what I want to do; various desktops by my personal program preferences.

Desktop1: for my most used functions, like Internet, various browsers, email, Amarok (music), LibreOffice, Calligra, softphone (voip), IRC Chat, PDF program(s), instant messenger, Scanning programs, Skype, TeamViewer (remote control), VirtualBox, notes: (CherryTree & pop-up), PS3 Media Server, WebCam stuff, etc...

Desktop2: put all my Graphics (Image) and Video programs (Various Players, Viewers, and Editors), repeat scanning program icons, webcam, & Amarok.

Desktop3: Science and Education, general learning, languages, programming, database(s), text and programming editors, Dos Emulator, etc...

Desktop4: Miscellaneous & Games: Stellarium (planetarium), Kstars (KDE Planetarium), Gramps Genealogy program, etc..
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Software & Applications”