[SOLVED] Startup sound in KDE 17.1

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marlenejo

[SOLVED] Startup sound in KDE 17.1

Post by marlenejo »

I haven't found anything about that in the settings. Is there a way to get KDE desktop to play a sound at startup ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Startup sound in KDE 17.1

Post by phd21 »

marlenejo wrote:I haven't found anything about that in the settings. Is there a way to get KDE desktop to play a sound at startup ?
Hi marlenejo, and anyone else interested,

Instructions To add, change or delete sounds in Linux Mint KDE for system events and applications; links at bottom for other Mint editions too:

Menu Key -->Settings -->System Settings -->Application and System Notifications -->
-->Manage Notifications -->"Applications" Tab-->Event Source

Here there are many "Event Sources" - look for and select "KDE Workspace", then choose an event like "login" or logout, etc.. check "play a sound" at the bottom of screen and any other options you want. You can pick the default sounds or choose your own...

Then hit "apply" in the lower right. That's it.

Obviously, there are lots of options, including sounds, for Event Sources and applications...

Interesting article on Configuring System Sounds: - some of this could work for other Mint editions too.
http://www.linux.org/threads/configurin ... unds.4275/

KDE-look.org Eyecandy for your KDE desktop - some of this could work for other Mint editions too.
http://kde-look.org/index.php?xsortmode ... entmode=25

Note: If you want your own sound files to easily show up in your menu selections, then you can copy your own sound files to the Linux Mint standard "sound" folder (with root permissions):
"/usr/share/sounds"

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
marlenejo

Re: Startup sound in KDE 17.1

Post by marlenejo »

wow I would never have found this one out. I ended up writing short scripts with the "aplay" command and add them to the startup fonctions. But the notification selections is more elegant and versatile.
Thanks a lot !

..there is always someone, somewhere, somehow who know something that the rest of us don't !

Return to “Software & Applications”