[Answered] How do I install KDE 5?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Extarys

[Answered] How do I install KDE 5?

Post by Extarys »

Hey guys and girls,

I just (re) installed Linux Mint because I missed the apt command XD
I was using Netrunner for a year but I got tired of troubleshooting 100 issues every day.

Now my question: I found a repo called neon/kf5 to install kde 5 but the repo doesn't exist anymore (maybe it was an old blog post?)

How can I install it on Linux Mint 17.1 KDE edition? I enjoyed it so much (even with the Plasma stopped working error message now and then)

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How do I install KDE 5?

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 17.x is using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS as a package base. neon/kf5 PPA has been deprecated IIRC and has been replaced by Kubuntu CI, but that one doesn't support Ubuntu 14.04. In any case, both neon/kf5 and Kubuntu CI have development packages for KDE 5. Not stable releases for day to day use, but bleeding edge test versions for developers. If you want KDE 5 the best place right now is probably Kubuntu 15.04, though I'm loath to recommend you to install it given its short support period (end of life for that release is January 2016).

For Linux Mint 17.2 (due mid this year) the Linux Mint development team is considering KDE 5. Not a done deal, but it is on the table.
Extarys

Re: How do I install KDE 5?

Post by Extarys »

Thank you xenopeek for your anwser.

It would be amazing if 17.2 was shipped with (or had the option to install) KDE 5.x.
I will wait for the next release... (or get tired and install Kubuntu :P )

I used to install Window$ every month so I don't care a bout short support or LTS versions.

One more time, thank you :)
marlenejo

Re: [Answered] How do I install KDE 5?

Post by marlenejo »

After using Kubuntu kde plasma 5, I really think that it is a MUST for the Mint team to include this version on their new kde version. It is, and a lot of people have the same opinion, the most beautiful and modern looking version of any linux distros to date. I am getting a couple of bugs on kubuntu but not critical ones. So i really like tho have the legendary stable, expertise and rich hardware support of the Mint version. A lot of people says that this should have been windows 10 and has a chance to get linux in the spotlight. Right now Windows 10 is just plain ugly and a disaster.

I cross my fingers !
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

Well looks like we're not getting KDE 5 with Mint KDE 17.2. May be a good thing after all as their is quite some bugs to be worked out on that new desktop. However those who cannot wait and want the KDE 5 look, there is a very convincing theme at kde-look.org, called KDE 5 Look 1.0. It provide a similar desktop on kde 4 without the bugs pain.
myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by myrkat »

marlenejo wrote:Well looks like we're not getting KDE 5 with Mint KDE 17.2. May be a good thing after all as their is quite some bugs to be worked out on that new desktop. However those who cannot wait and want the KDE 5 look, there is a very convincing theme at kde-look.org, called KDE 5 Look 1.0. It provide a similar desktop on kde 4 without the bugs pain.
But KDE Plasma 5 is NEW, I want it. Gimme, gimme, gimme.... well, that and some people just HAVE to show all those new Windows 10 users what a real desktop environment looks like. Sure it can be done with 4.x, but Plasma 5 is (supposedly) accelerated better, graphically.

Actually, the video reviews of KDE Plasma 5 make it look very clean (read: flat) - almost Unity-like in it's flatness. Actually, didn't Apple try that some years ago? Oh well, maybe it's coming back in style... you know like forcing your desktop users to interface with their computers as if they were a 23" handheld... :^(
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)
Bladeforce

Post by Bladeforce »

I would much prefer for plasma 5 to be an option at login rather than take over as default.
I much prefer plasma 4 but i'm worried the two cant be run side by side. I hope this doesnt become a windows 8 fiasco

Return to “Software & Applications”