<SOLVED> Fixing file search in Linux Mint 17.1 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MichaelH

<SOLVED> Fixing file search in Linux Mint 17.1 KDE

Post by MichaelH »

Hi - I thought I'd share my results with others regarding file search. To search your local hard drive using the KDE file manager (Dolphin), you must install Baloo. I don't need the extra indexing that Baloo does, since I only search by file name. Based on results from the GNOME search tools, Baloo was also missing some partial file name matches.

However, Dolphin will happily search an external NTFS drive by file name with or without Baloo installed. The search on the external drive gives results that match the GNOME search. So, I'd like to use the same type of search on my local hard drive.

SOLUTION:
1. Install Baloo.
2. Open the Desktop Search configuration pane. (You can search for "Baloo" in the kicker menu to find it.)
3. Add your home directory to the "do not search" list.
3a. "Enable Desktop Search" should uncheck automatically. If not, uncheck it.
4. Click OK.

File search now works as I desire, searching file names with partial matches. As a bonus, this should also stop Baloo from indexing. I hope this helps others facing similar problems!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Software & Applications”