Desktop settings dissapeared! (by pressing key combination)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mayid

Desktop settings dissapeared! (by pressing key combination)

Post by mayid »

Hi. I'm running Mint 17 KDE since a couple of months. And today something weird happened. I tried to press ctrl+C but I pressed something else (not sure which keys) and suddenly my desktop setting disappeared and also my running apps (Firefox + Android Studio).

So, I logged out and started a new session, but my monitors backgrounds and my desktop icons are still missing. Too bad. What could have happen? Can I restore my settings?

(Which file/s manages kde desktop settings?)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mayid

Re: Desktop settings dissapeared! (by pressing key combinati

Post by mayid »

I searched a bit and read about restoring an Activity ID in plasma ... I don't know what should i do yet, but the implicated files seems to be:

(folder: ~/.kde/share/config)

activitymanagerrc
plasma-desktop-appletsrc
plasma-desktoprc

The last one has info about my background images so it's encouraging :)
mayid

Post by mayid »

Still don't know what's going on. It seems that only Desktop (icons + backgrounds) are lost. The panel bar is fine. Anyway, I want my desktop icons back. I wasn't easy to create those custom application launchers.

This is content of activitymanagerrc
[activities]
37cdffd9-ea19-4a7e-89f5-01d83f50c559=New Activity
cc8eaa91-2937-4142-bfbb-419d9541fcdb=Desktop

[main]
currentActivity=37cdffd9-ea19-4a7e-89f5-01d83f50c559
runningActivities=37cdffd9-ea19-4a7e-89f5-01d83f50c559

Only thing I tried was replacing kwinrc activityId with the one listed there (that I assume is the correct one) But nothing happened. I really need a clue ...
mayid

Post by mayid »

This is strange. If I open "activities" and click Desktop it switches to my nice desktop! hurrah!

In activities I just have a Desktop and a New Activity. That new Activity cannot be deleted.... Wait, if I switch to Desktop then I can "stop" and erase the "New activity". Hurray! :D

So, this is SOLVED. Problem was I accidentally created an Activity (without my concern of what activities are).

Thanks anyway.

Return to “Software & Applications”