Strange Monitor Icon and Bar Glitch

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Supahgaijin5k

Strange Monitor Icon and Bar Glitch

Post by Supahgaijin5k »

Hey everyone! If this topic has been covered in another thread, I apologize as I couldn't seem to find this issue anywhere online or in this forum. I finally managed to get Mint 17 KDE installed on my UEFI Windows 8 laptop, which brought me so much joy. I almost teared up seeing that startup screen. lol Anyway, I noticed a strange bug that I'd never encountered before.

While it was installing KDE, mirroring the desktop on both the built-in and the HDMI, I noticed a weird bar appear on my screen at random intervals. The icon showing was the monitor from Display Configuration, and the bar would alternate between three values: 100%, 50%, and 95%. I thought maybe updating everything would help get rid of it, but after completing all updates, it would still randomly pop up. It wouldn't even care if I was in the middle of, say, Garry's Mod. It would pop up on top of everything else for a second or two before vanishing.

Here's where it gets really weird. If I stop it from mirroring the displays, using the HDMI as the primary monitor, the bar stops showing up on either monitor. It's only while I have it mirrored that this happens.

Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on? Thanks for any help.

*NOTE* It took a while, but the bar showed up again while extending the desktop. So it's a constant thing, as it would seem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Supahgaijin5k

Re: Strange Monitor Icon and Bar Glitch

Post by Supahgaijin5k »

Nevermind, I worked it out. It was trying to change the brightness of the display because of power management settings. Once I disabled all of that, it stopped happening altogether.

Return to “Software & Applications”