What happened to my Kickstarter icon? Solved.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lynwood
Level 4
Level 4

What happened to my Kickstarter icon? Solved.

Post by Lynwood »

In playing with themes, I settled (for now) on the Oxygen theme (Desktop Theme), Oxygen icon set and colors (Workspace Appearance; I see that, under Appearance/GTK, I've selected the Oxymentary icon theme), but somewhere in getting this, I lost the Kickstarter icon. Can someone tell me how I lost it and how to get it back? Btw, the Kickstarter space is still there and works as K-menu, even the context menu from right-clicking that space. I just would like that icon to be there. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What happened to my Kickstarter icon?

Post by LindseyD. »

I found this post looking for a solution to my problem, which is that the Kicker icon is too small.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but if you right-click on the icon (or where the icon should be) then choose Application Launcher Settings, then click on the icon, you'll be able to change the icon. Click Browse, then navigate to /usr/share/linuxmint & you'll see 2 icons there, but for me they're too small.
Mint17 KDE
Lynwood
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What happened to my Mint menu icon?

Post by Lynwood »

LindseyD. wrote:I found this post looking for a solution to my problem, which is that the Kicker icon is too small.
Mine is not too small; it's simply not there, just an empty space. Btw, I misnamed this icon. I believe it's called the Mint menu icon.
LindseyD. wrote:if you right-click on the icon (or where the icon should be) then choose Application Launcher Settings, then click on the icon,
Getting the Application Launcher Settings yielded a window with two panes, the left one of which has three fields, vertically aligned. The second one, labeled Options, yields a right panel with five fields, the top one of which shows a clickable field with an icon in it. But I don't want to *change* my icon; I want the default one that should be there to BE there. The icon displayed in that space IS the Mint menu icon, the one that should be at the left end of my bottom panel but isn't. And that icon doesn't appear in any of the lists available.
LindseyD. wrote:Click Browse,
Browse? There is no Browse, just the field labeled "icon" with the clickable rectangle next to it. If I click it, I get a window labeled Icon Source that contains two radio-button choices on the left and to the right of each choice a field appropriate to that choice. The field label for System Icons gives a list to select from, none of which relates to the Mint menu. The field label for the "Other Icons" is Browse. But selecting Other icons yields a window that contains a list of icons that does not include the Mint menu icon.

So, alas, I still don't know how to get the DE to display the Mint Menu icon. Sure hope someone will know how to retrieve that.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Lynwood wrote:Getting the Application Launcher Settings yielded a window with two panes, the left one of which has three fields, vertically aligned. The second one, labeled Options, yields a right panel with five fields, the top one of which shows a clickable field with an icon in it. But I don't want to *change* my icon; I want the default one that should be there to BE there. The icon displayed in that space IS the Mint menu icon, the one that should be at the left end of my bottom panel but isn't. And that icon doesn't appear in any of the lists available.
I have no idea what you could have right-clicked. I've attached what you should see. (And I managed to find a bigger icon, too.)
applicationLauncherSettings.png
Mint17 KDE
Lynwood
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lynwood »

Lynwood wrote:I have no idea what you could have right-clicked. I've attached what you should see.
Here's the one I get:
ApplicationLauncherSettings.png
[/quote]
LindseyD wrote:(And I managed to find a bigger icon, too.)
Congratulations.
How did you get such a clean snapshot? I haven't learned how to do that.
Lynwood
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lynwood »

Sorry, but I forgot to specify that I'm using Mint 17.1 KDE, which I'm trying to personalize.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

I'm still on 17. Quite a difference!

Can you change the icon at all? To anything?
How did you get such a clean snapshot?
I dunno. I just press Print Screen and Ksnapshot shows up. I haven't configured anything.
I believe it's called the Mint menu icon.
Yes, and you have to find it in /usr/share/linuxmint/, not through the icon selector--although you still have to click the icon to enable you to change it. So, what should work is to put /usr/share/linuxmint/ in the search bar, and then which icon you want, light or dark.

The easiest way to do this is to navigate to the folder in Dolphin, hit F4 to get the terminal, then copy/paste with the mouse.
Mint17 KDE
Lynwood
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lynwood »

LindseyD. wrote:Can you change the icon at all? To anything?
From what to what? There was nothing there to begin with. But, following your directions, I did put a Linuxmint icon there, but it's different from the one that was there. The one that's displayed in the Application Launcher Settings/Options > Icon, as in my screenshot, is the one that used to be in the Mint menu place, and the one I have there now is a white LM in a mid-green mintleaf-shaped background, itself in a very light green field. So, that puts one there, just not the right one.

I'm pretty sure that I lost the Mint menu icon in changing something in my KOrganizer calendar or in selecting my DE theme components; I just can't find what I might have done in the latter, and the former is another question for the forum because I've lost the weekend dates on the month calendar in its upper, left corner and who knows what all else.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Sorry to be so long replying. Life intervened :)

First off, I want to say that I, and anyone else following this thread, feel your pain--because we've all done it. We use KDE because it's so configurable, then mess up the whole desktop trying to configure it.

I can't see Korganizer affecting the icon, but I can see the DE theme doing it. You'll have to start a separate thread for the Korganizer issue. I have no idea how to fix it. You might try renaming the korganizerui.rc file in ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer and see if it sets up a new one. Close Korganizer, rename the file, open Korganizer. If it works, you'll have lost all your settings (I think) and if it doesn't, just close the program, rename the file to korganizerui.rc & keep your fingers crossed. This suggestion comes without warranty of any kind.

For the icon, what colour is the icon in /usr/share/linuxmint/? Not any of the subdirectories, just /usr/share/linuxmint/? If it's green, that's weird, because mine is blue.
Mint17 KDE
Lynwood
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lynwood »

LindseyD. wrote:Sorry to be so long replying. Life intervened :)
Absolutely no problem; that's happening with me, too. I can't manage to stay entirely on top of these problems all the time. In fact, I fully understand why the general public won't put up with "Linux," saying, in effect, I have no time or patience for solving all these problems one by one in all the time it takes to do so in forums. Just take the problem to a shop, pay what they ask, and get it back fixed. And, otherwise ... DON'T TOUCH MY COMPUTER! God forbid something should get changed; I'm not about to fix it, and it'd cost a fortune to get a shop to fix it. I find I can't talk computers with anyone. Everyone I know, to a person, is perfectly happy to use Windows/Mac--doesn't everyone?!--and TOUCH NOTHING! except their regular program(s) and web browsing and have a shop fix anything that does go wrong. And these are all very intelligent people, professionals. If these people can't/won't learn anything about their computer, then god help the general public. Alas, it's no wonder that Microsoft and Apple are empires. Enough.
LindseyD. wrote:First off, I want to say that I, and anyone else following this thread, feel your pain--because we've all done it. We use KDE because it's so configurable, then mess up the whole desktop trying to configure it.
Thanks greatly for that. That's compassionate, supportive, and encouraging. And, yep, that's exactly what I've done. But I've also done some good things that I like. If I've done it once, I can do it again.
LindseyD. wrote:I can't see Korganizer affecting the icon, but I can see the DE theme doing it.
That's kind of been my thinking, too. But I'm not entirely sure.
LindseyD. wrote:You might try renaming the korganizerui.rc file in ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer and see if it sets up a new one. Close Korganizer, rename the file, open Korganizer. If it works, you'll have lost all your settings (I think) and if it doesn't, just close the program, rename the file to korganizerui.rc & keep your fingers crossed. This suggestion comes without warranty of any kind.
I may try this later. First, I'm going to get a printer software problem and perhaps this K-menu icon problem fixed.
LindseyD. wrote:For the icon, what colour is the icon in /usr/share/linuxmint/? Not any of the subdirectories, just /usr/share/linuxmint/? If it's green, that's weird, because mine is blue.
That was it! Thanks. It is the white LM in darkish blue mintleaf background over the bottom part of the KDE gear. It just didn't register; it is labeled logo.png. I just didn't think to use it instead of one inside mintinstall/icons/.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

I know people who program for Windows who won't try to change default settings. When I ask, "Why does it do this stupid thing?" they shrug and say it's Windows.
That was it! Thanks. It is the white LM in darkish blue mintleaf background over the bottom part of the KDE gear. It just didn't register; it is labeled logo.png. I just didn't think to use it instead of one inside mintinstall/icons/.
I suspect the reason it didn't register is because you were frustrated & going brain dead. Best thing in that situation, take a shower, walk the dog, something that requires less concentration & lots of movement.

Since your original problem's solved, please mark the subject solved. Good luck on the Korganizer & printer problems. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Mint17 KDE
Lynwood
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lynwood »

Thanks for everything. I'm happy to mark it solved (I assume it is; I don't remember *exactly* what the original K-menu icon looked like, but this appears to be it). Well, I'm happy to mark this solved, but I don't see how to do that. Sorry, I just can't find anywhere to so mark it.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Lynwood wrote: Well, I'm happy to mark this solved, but I don't see how to do that. Sorry, I just can't find anywhere to so mark it.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=83314

Scroll down to Section II - Technical Guidelines and #9: Indicate Solved Topics.
Mint17 KDE
Lynwood
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What happened to my Kickstarter icon? Solved.

Post by Lynwood »

Thanks, again.

Return to “Software & Applications”