Sys reqs KDE-Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrMcKay

Sys reqs KDE-Cinnamon

Post by DrMcKay »

I've inherited my wife's old Dell laptop since she got a new laptop from work.
I had been experimenting on the Dell with Linux but I had to keep Windows on it too because my wife needed it.

Now however, I'm going wipe the hard drive and install Mint on it.
Still not sure what DE, in doubt between Cinnamon or KDE. I've kind of got a thing for KDE, but Cinnamon is becoming more attractive with every release.

My question is this : the Dell is a dual core Pentium at 2.1Ghz with 4Gb of RAM. Should be more than enough for Mint 17.1 but the RAM requirements for Cinnamon are a lot lower than those for KDE (512Mb vs 2Gb). Can I expect a smooth experience with KDE or had I better get Cinnamon instead ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Sys reqs KDE-Cinnamon

Post by k357k9 »

Can I expect a smooth experience with KDE or had I better get Cinnamon instead ?
You probably don't want to hear this, but the bottom line is that the only way to find out for sure is to try them on your system doing the things you do regularly.

Have you considered using LM Mate or Xfce?
DrMcKay

Post by DrMcKay »

k357k9 wrote:Have you considered using LM Mate or Xfce?
Not keen on Xfce and the sys reqs for MATE are hardly lower than those for Cinnamon. Guess I'll just have to try and see if KDE runs well. If not, Cinnamon it is...
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

the sys reqs for MATE are hardly lower than those for Cinnamon
I ran 17.1 Cinnamon from release until about a month ago when I put Mate on top of it in order to test them both. Mate was much quicker, used less RAM, and used less CPU. I did a clean install of Mate on Monday. It works even better alone! As they say, your mileage may vary.

Return to “Software & Applications”