does mint leak information to Amazon/other companies? [SOLVE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

does mint leak information to Amazon/other companies? [SOLVE

Post by 52ROSt »

I am considering to install Linux Mint 17.1 KDE. As this version is based on Ubuntu I wonder if Mint also leaks information to Amazon or other companies.

An honest answer is high appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: does mint leak information to Amazon or other companies?

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint does not collect information on its users' searches, or share such data with anyone.

If you search on Amazon using your web browser, or use search engines of other companies, information about your searches may be collected by those companies. On Linux Mint you'll find a number of search engines available in Firefox (you can select which search engine to search with in the search fields' drop-down selection box; click the magnifying glass icon). Which search engines preserve your privacy is noted here: http://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php. By clicking on "Change Search Settings" in the selection box of Firefox's search field you can toggle which search engines to display, or even install others. The Amazon search engine won't be used unless you explicitly select to use it in Firefox' search field selection box.

That said, if you install Unity in Linux Mint (you can), and you install and activate the Amazon search lens then your searches in Unity's dash will be "leaked", as you say, to Amazon. There is no Unity edition of Linux Mint, so this would be a deliberate and I'd argue informed action of a user. On Ubuntu the Amazon search lens is I believe being disabled by default in the current or next release. Ubuntu users can already disable the Amazon search lens through Privacy controls, or uninstall it.

None of the Linux Mint editions use Unity's search lenses, and thus none "leak" information to Amazon.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: does mint leak information to Amazon or other companies?

Post by 52ROSt »

Thanks for your explanations.

I like MInt and the fact that the default installation does not include Unity. And additionally I will definitely NOT install Unity!

As a matter of fact, I trusted the rumor I heard outside this forum that Mint doesn't leak information and installed it already. Looks and feels nice, especially the KDE desktop environment.

A great season for all you!

Return to “Software & Applications”