KDE "corruption?" of wallpaper/panel after sleep

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fallout301

KDE "corruption?" of wallpaper/panel after sleep

Post by Fallout301 »

Hi all, I've been trying to figure this issue out for a couple weeks on and off now. When I wake my computer up from sleep, I'm not sure corruption is the right word, but basically what it's supposed to be messes up like so. Not all of those things end up actually corrupting though. Sometimes it's just the panel, sometimes it's the panel and any of my wallpapers, sometimes it's all of those things, just rather random, like today it was my IDE that looked funny. Sorry if this was already asked and I missed it, I used my best google-foo trying to solve this :lol:

My system is running Linux Mint 17 KDE Edition 64 bit and has an Nvidia GTX 660 running the proprietary 331.38 driver from the driver manager, unfortunately due to my primary monitor not quite agreeing with Nouveau, and the fact I play games on my machine, Nouveau is out of the question :( .

Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nevvy

Re: KDE "corruption?" of wallpaper/panel after sleep

Post by Nevvy »

I experience the same issue -- wallpaper is sometimes scrambled after waking from suspend (but only the wallpaper, never the panel) or anything else.

Running Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64bit with Radeon HD7770, proprietary 14.501 driver -- so that's unlikely to be KDE or Nvidia issues.
BgoodBrandon

Post by BgoodBrandon »

I am having a similar problem. I'm running linux mint 17 kde 64 bit. When I wake my pc it only shows the pointer and everything else gone (black screen). Although my background icons (in the bottom panel) will still be visible, only moved to the top right of the screen. This happens every time i let it sleep and try to wake up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lelandius

Post by Lelandius »

I've just encountered the same issue. My wallpaper was completely messed up. I changed it to a different one then right back and it was fine, but twice from wake it did it. I'm running 64bit Mint and HD 7970 gpu. Very strange.
M4he

Post by M4he »

Had this happen to my Firefox window after standby yesterday, it was completely filled with randomly colored pixel noise.
Desktop system with GTX 660 (nvidia-331-updates-uvm driver) running Mint 17.1 KDE here.

Would be interesting to find out whether this is a Mint specific issue.
According to your reports this seems neither an AMD/Nvidia nor a DE specific issue.
I recently switched from a custom Xubuntu 14.04.1, running Openbox standalone with Compton in OpenGL rendering mode (git version) as compositing. Never had this problem after standby there.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

It seems you're a victim of faulty hibernation (suspend-to-disk), which happens on certain hardware, and unfortunately can't be fixed.... I advise to disable hibernation completely, in the following manner:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ter-a-coma
(item 8, left column)

If it helps, please consider supporting this improvement idea of mine:
http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/5482
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
M4he

Post by M4he »

For me it's suspend (to ram) not hibernate (to disk).

I can now confirm that this isn't Mint specific either. I'm now running Kubuntu 14.04.2 on my above mentioned system.
Just had this issue again. After resuming from suspend, the upper and lower part of a window's shadow texture was turned into colorful pixel noise. Moving that window instantly fixed it. I managed to take a screenshot beforhand though:
hibernate_gibberish_cropped.png
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

M4he wrote:For me it's suspend (to ram) not hibernate (to disk).

I can now confirm that this isn't Mint specific either. I'm now running Kubuntu 14.04.2 on my above mentioned system.
Just had this issue again. After resuming from suspend, the upper and lower part of a window's shadow texture was turned into colorful pixel noise. Moving that window instantly fixed it. I managed to take a screenshot beforhand though:
You can disable suspend as well:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nd-to-ram-
(item 8.2, right column)

But first I'd try a BIOS / UEFI update (when available). That helps sometimes.
M4he

Post by M4he »

Pjotr wrote:
M4he wrote:For me it's suspend (to ram) not hibernate (to disk).

You can disable suspend as well:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nd-to-ram-
(item 8.2, right column)

But first I'd try a BIOS / UEFI update (when available). That helps sometimes.
Why should I disable suspend? It's not like my PC is suspending by itself ;)
I rarely shutdown my PC completely, I'm only suspending it overnight.
I love using suspend and don't want to miss it to be honest.

Thanks for the tip with the BIOS update though, I might try that.
AFAIK, my mainboard also supports UEFI. Do you think my situation would improve, if I'd boot using UEFI (configuring grub for efi boot)?
M4he

Post by M4he »

Just a quick update:
Updated the BIOS of my mainboard to the most recent one - but no luck, had the screen corruption happen again recently :(

I'm now trying the following switch in /usr/lib/pm-utils/defaults

Code: Select all

HIBERNATE_RESUME_POST_VIDEO="yes"
(as per this post)

Fingers crossed ...
badbodh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badbodh »

:mrgreen: Watching you people suffer makes me happy. My laptop has peasant graphics (intel) and never gives me these troubles. :mrgreen:

Kidding apart. You can try disabling 'desktop effects'.

Go to 'system settings' - 'desktop effects'. Uncheck "Enable desktop effects at startup". Maybe uncheck "various animations", some items in "All effects" section while at it. Reboot and see if problem persists.

This pixelation problem is sure-shot hardware issue. Do your drivers come with some 'control panel' thingy like in windows? Try disabling 'vsync'.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux proves it.
M4he

Post by M4he »

badbodh wrote:You can try disabling 'desktop effects'.
badbodh wrote:Try disabling 'vsync'.
I'm not going to turn off my 2 most important reasons for running KWin/KDE :shock:
badbodh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badbodh »

M4he wrote: I'm not going to turn off my 2 most important reasons for running KWin/KDE :shock:
Just for troubleshooting, not the permanent solution. See what happens on the other side of the universe.
Something may reveal the 'root' of all problems (lame pun intended).
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux proves it.
vullnetyy

Post by vullnetyy »

Hi there,

I'm having the same problem on Linux Mint 17.1 Cinammon, with a AMD Radeon HD 6850 using proprietary drivers (fglrx-updates version 2:13.350.1-0ubuntu2).

I suspend manually (to ram), then upon wake-up the wallpaper in all 3 of my screen looks like random noise. Have a look at the image for an example http://snag.gy/XeXU8.jpg or http://i.snag.gy/XeXU8.jpg

Any solution that works yet?
pacharanero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pacharanero »

Same problem on LM18.1 Cinnamon following upgrade. Nvidia K1100, HiDPI screen, M3800 laptop.
nvidia-378 drivers, 4.4.0-59-lowlatency kernel

following resume from suspend, the background and some web pages is corrupted with a mainly white background and speckly multi-coloured pixel noise, in a repeating pattern. Refreshing the page or changing the background immediately restores a normal image. The fact it affects web pages (but not the window decorations or titlebars etc) makes me wonder if this is a WebGL thing?

Does anyone have any ideas on where to look to debug this?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

@pacharanero: please start a new thread of your own.... Kicking up this old thread of someone else, which is about another desktop environment as well (KDE and not Cinnamon), is confusing. :)

Post the link to your new thread in your reply, and I'll try to help you there.
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

Reading this thread made me happy, but NOT for any schadenfreude reason as one respondent joked before... instead, coz i might have your solution.

I have no idea if the following would help any non-KDE user [but why are you posting here?; this is the KDE stream], nor if helpful for any non-Nvidia gpu user. However for those using Mint 17/.1/.2/.3 KDE4, with a Nvidia card, & who like to Suspend-Resume their pc, but are plagued by post-wake-up buggered graphics [technical term], pls read this: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=237704&p=1266613#p1266613

From my own battles with this bug for the years i ran Mint 17.x KDE 4 on my Lappy & Tower, both having [different] Nvidia cards, none of these helped: alternative kernels, alternative Nvidia drivers, alternative KWin Compositing [ie, OpenGL 3.1 / 2.0 both vulnerable, also XRender]. I also tried many other things [won't bore you with them now], but nothing helped... until one day i solved it on Lappy [with a compromise] then much later again solved it on Tower [with no compromise].

Lappy -- IF you are willing to revert to the integrated Intel GPU in lieu of the separate NVidia card, install nvidia-prime, launch it, go to the Profiles section, & select Intel not Nvidia, then reboot. From the moment i did this a couple of years ago, Lappy never again manifested the "wake-up blues".

Tower -- My pc does not have Optimus, so the above trick was inapplicable, but also this is my primary pc & i was unwilling to lose the better functionality of my Nvidia card. The solution, as per my earlier link, came about from the serendipity of reading a post somewhere that lead to a thread in the Nvidia website, where one kind genius worked out the root cause [Compositing & Suspend not playing nicely together], worked out an easy solution, & summarised what to do. From the moment i implemented this, Tower also stopped having the dreaded "wake-up blues".

Much later, once i upgraded to my current Plasma5 distro, i was very pleased to discover the bug has been fixed by the KDE Devs, without me needing any workarounds.

I really do hope this info helps someone, as i entirely empathise with your "wake-up blues".

Return to “Software & Applications”