Mint 17 Qiana KDE and Resume from Sleep

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 17 Qiana KDE and Resume from Sleep

Post by myrkat »

I recently installed Qiana/KDE (fresh install). I normally "SLEEP" (suspend to RAM) my computer, and when I was running Kubuntu 14.04.1 I had noticed that occasionally, when waking, the mouse cursor was moving fine, but no clicks (right, left, middle, etc) seemed to register. I also noticed that my conky script (lua clock) and the desktop clock (lower right) were not moving/updating. It was like a frozen desktop with full mouse movement.

Now, under Kubuntu, I would usually just CTRL+ALT+F1 and sudo shutdown -r now. Crappy work-a-round, but there it is.

Fast-forward to my install of Mint 17 KDE. My /home is on a separate partition, so I just re-used that, but re-formatted the root / partition, wiping kubuntu and installing Qiana fresh. I've slept the machine and come back, but the last time I came back (after applying system updates) I got the frozen screen, but movable mouse issue. Except this time, no CTRL+ALT+F1 (or any keycombo). I hard-reset from the case (ouch).

Reading the problems MDM is having with multiple users switching, I thought maybe it was that, so I've installed lightdm and purged mdm and will see if that helps.

Anyone else ever have issue with KDE and Sleep / Resume? My two kids also run Qiana/KDE and have had no such issue. They have ATI/AMD video cards, while I have nVidia (using the 331? recommended driver).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)
pingolin

Re: Mint 17 Qiana KDE and Resume from Sleep

Post by pingolin »

Hi, I'm getting similar issue. After sleep, it appears window asking for password, but mouse and keyboard do not work; sometimes I'm able to insert password, then desktop appears but sistem doesn't work.I'm forced to make hard reset. My graphic card is nvidia geforce 8400gs.
What i can do?

Previously i had Linux mint 15 and no issue.
/Pingolin
pingolin

Post by pingolin »

Hi ,
just an update;
I changed the driver for nvidia card (using the one recommended) and now it works.
After installation , the SO linux mint 17 starts to use an alternative driver for nvidia card;
from driver manager it is possible to change the driver by selecting the recommended one.
After that operation,
I tried to put PC in stand by mode , then when it started again , window appeared asking for pwd;
on this first window I was not able to do nothing; just waiting for some seconds (about 10)
and appeared a different window asking for username and pwd ; this time I was able to
insert the data and I was able to get again in linux desktop; this time it was working
( no blocked).

BR/pingolin
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by myrkat »

Excellent update, as my SLEEP woes went away after upgrading to the recommended nVidia drivers!

Glad we're past this issue!
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)

Return to “Software & Applications”