KDE Upgrade

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yvonne

KDE Upgrade

Post by yvonne »

I am on Linux Mint 17 Qiana KDE SC Version 4.13.3 and came across an article on upgrading KDE to version 4.14.1 using:-

Code: Select all

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Is this a save method to upgrade KDE? Anybody encountered problems?
Alternatively, would it better to wait for the release of Linux Mint 17.1 which may include the KDE upgrade?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
irishwoody

Re: KDE Upgrade

Post by irishwoody »

afasik the ppa you shoudl use is the backports ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
woody
yvonne

Post by yvonne »

Thanks for responding.

I followed your suggestion and addedd ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports to Software sources.
After refreshing the Update Manager I successfully downloaded/installed all packages. I rebooted but the version of KDE did not update.
Also, since I originally installed Qiana KDE, why isn't the ppa included in the Update Manager?
irishwoody

Post by irishwoody »

yvonne wrote:After refreshing the Update Manager I successfully downloaded/installed all packages. I rebooted but the version of KDE did not update.
Not sure why not - I've done similar now have KDE. 4.14.2..
You could check using package versions using synpatic - if it did download many packages and install then sounds like it did upgrade kde - theres very little visual difference between 4.13 and 4.14 anyhow.
yvonne wrote:Also, since I originally installed Qiana KDE, why isn't the ppa included in the Update Manager?
Well kubuntu backports are really for the kde flavor of the ubuntu distro, they are not Linux Mint as such. I've used them in the past and have worked fine and reverted to mint repository when mint "caught up". I just perfer mint kde to kubuntu, even though I could get them to look the same (I have my own heavily customised desptop which I like to keep after each kde / mint upgrade)

Return to “Software & Applications”