-solved- Konsole doesn't display Unicode characters

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mrhnhrm

-solved- Konsole doesn't display Unicode characters

Post by Mrhnhrm »

So, here I have a Mint 17 KDE 64 bit, with Konsole 2.13.2 which refuses to properly render UTF-8 characters.

Well, the story is a bit longer than just that. During installation I had set my country as Germany, but in the KDE locale settings I still set the prefered language to US English. Apparently, the system got quite confused and had trouble rendering Unicode in many applications (e.g., Krusader). Heck, according to the output of locale, the system tried using a non-existent en_DE.UTF-8 locale's settings (which won't even compile via locale-gen). Anyway, after adjusting my country to the US in the KDE Locale seettings, there seems to be only one application still allergic to Unicode: Konsole.

Apparently, it does not recognise multi-byte UTF-8 characters. For example, a file name "файл-file.txt" (that's cyrillic characters if you're wondering) will render like "Ñайл-file.txt" -- that's more characters than necessary and some of the wrongly rendered characters are redundant, as if it tries to render each UTF-8 byte individually according to some other encoding (with predictably tragic results).

Yes, Konsole is set to UTF-8 encoding in the current profile settings menu. The locale output is:

Code: Select all

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=
Probably also related, Konsole does not properly render the characters that Midnight Commander uses for drawing the talbes (like └─┴─┘), replacing them all with a character like this: 'â'.

None of these character confusion problems exist in xterm or the non-graphical terminal. Any leads?

Thanks a lot for your attention.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mrhnhrm

Re: Konsole doesn't display Unicode characters

Post by Mrhnhrm »

Well what do you know, the solution to the problem was simply to close and restart Knosole :roll: Even though I logged out or rebooted numerous times, I had not manually closed the application, and then it was restarted by the session manager. Looks like the session manager stored something that prevented Konsole from operating normally even despite the fact that locale settings had already changed. How counter-intuitive.

Thanks for your attention, everyone.

Return to “Software & Applications”