KDE5 on linux mint 17 cinnamon?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ansem2

KDE5 on linux mint 17 cinnamon?

Post by Ansem2 »

Hi at ll guys! I want to install the new releas of linux mint with cinnamon :D
But i saw the some month ago it was release KDE5, and i want to try it :( so i ask you: can i install both cinnamon and KDE, or i'll have a lot of problem?
Or you suggest to install mint KDE edition, update KDE 4 to 5, and then install cinnamon?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: KDE5 on linux mint 17 cinnamon?

Post by zerozero »

do not cross-post.
the other post was removed.
Ansem2

Post by Ansem2 »

yeah sorry. Didn't see this section when i created the first topic :(
BTW no one can help me?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

You should be able to install KDE on your Cinnamon install. Mint may or may not have a new enough kernel, libs, etc. to install KDE5. The first Linux distribution I ever used, Mandrake back in 2002, had both KDE and Gnome installed, and you could choose which one you wanted to use from the login screen. There was a post on the forums recently from somebody who had installed Mate and then added Cinnamon, and it worked OK for him. Remember when you go to install something like KDE5, pay careful attention to what is going to be done. If a bunch of stuff is going to be removed, don't do it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This should work for Linux Mint 17 also, use the Ubuntu 14.04 steps: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/07/how-to-i ... -1410.html. However, KDE5 has a while to go before you can consider it stable or fully usable (parts of KDE SC aren't migrated yet). I'd recommend to use the Neon ISO in VirtualBox instead, to get an impression of KDE5.

As always, if you break your installation by experimenting—it's you who has to fix it :wink: Just use VirtualBox for experimenting.
Ansem2

Post by Ansem2 »

Thanks a lot for your answer :D maybe for KD5 i'll wait linux mint 18 XD hoping that they'll use this new version instead of the old and ugly KDE4
konjad

Post by konjad »

By the time LM18 comes they might.

I'll stick to LM17 and KDE4 until the end of the support though. I really dislike KDE5 while KDE4 is my favourite DE.

Return to “Software & Applications”