Mapping multimedia keys to control spotify

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yatesco

Mapping multimedia keys to control spotify

Post by yatesco »

Hi all,

When I ran spotify under cinnamon 2.2 it seemed to be integrated really nicely with the sound applet/tray icon (whatever they are called nowadays). My keyboard (Microsoft 4000 something or other) has some media buttons including a play/pause which worked out of the box.

In KDE, the volume controls work but the play/pause has no effect.

I realise the answer to a question that starts "Can KDE be configured to do ..." is yes :) but any idea how? Do I need to start finding character codes and writing python to drive spotify?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
birdog

Re: Mapping multimedia keys to control spotify

Post by birdog »

if you go to System Settings and Hardware sectioon you will see Input Deivces click on that and it should default to the top selection wich is keyboard and there is a list to chose from so yours might be there with no need to program anything but if not the 3rd tab Advanced might have what you need
yatesco

Re: Mapping multimedia keys to control spotify

Post by yatesco »

An update - choosing the correct keyboard didn't work, however I have been playing with the fantastic arch and their wiki has some instructions which should be cross platform and involve using dbus to communicate with spotify:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Spotify#D-Bus.

I haven't tried in mint (as I am in Arch KDE) but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Return to “Software & Applications”