[SOLVED]Install KDE17, can't uncheck format home disk

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeMus

[SOLVED]Install KDE17, can't uncheck format home disk

Post by DeMus »

During installation of Mint 17KDE-64 I, as I always do when installing a new release, chose manual selection of the partitions.
This time however, when I select an existing partition (home) to be home again the tickbox to format the partiton is marked and there is no way to uncheck it. I obviously don't want to format my home partition since I have lots of stuff there which I want to use again.
What is causing this and how can I change this automatic behavior?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Install KDE17, can't uncheck format home disk

Post by DrHu »

This is all I see for now, the user guides (PDF ) arefor KDE are only in non-English versions
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/07/02/ma ... nt-17-kde/
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Thank you Dr Hu, but I don't think I made myself very clear.
What I see when I chose manual partition setup is a list of my old partitions which are on disk already and which were used by the previous OS.
One of them is /home. I want to use that partition again as /home, so I set it up. But when I press OK and I see the list of partitions again the /home one has a tick in the box indicating it will be formatted, something I don't want since the partition holds my personal data.
This has always worked with previous versions, this is the way I install OS's since I use Linux which started in 2008. Now suddenly it wants to format the partition although during the setup of it I don't check the box myself.
On the website you mentioned in your answer I see only instructions how to setup the partitions manually, but they are new ones, not like with me already existing partitions.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

I can't imagine I did anything else than the first time I tried to install Mint 17 KDE-64, but now it worked. Now I could use the old /home partition without having to format it. Twenty minutes and it all worked. This is a huge compliment for the Mint team which made this all possible.
Thanks Dr Hu for trying to help me.
Zalbor

Re: [SOLVED]Install KDE17, can't uncheck format home disk

Post by Zalbor »

I'm only guessing here as I don't know if what I'm describing is how the installer would behave:
Is it possible that you selected the wrong kind of filesystem? For example, if your /home partition is ext4 but you selected ext3, perhaps the installer detected that and said "Different filesystem, a format is required."
DeMus

Re: [SOLVED]Install KDE17, can't uncheck format home disk

Post by DeMus »

I really can't say what happened, I don't know. What you wrote could be it, it could also have been something else.
It is working now both on my laptop as well as on my desktop so I am enjoying Mint 17 for the next couple of years. Yeah...

Return to “Software & Applications”