MINT 16 boots GUI only after entering startx command

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blucap
Level 1
Level 1

MINT 16 boots GUI only after entering startx command

Post by blucap »

After many months without problems, I ran into trouble with Linux Mint some days ago. The fonts were gibberish, and then, after some tweaking, Linux Mint failed to boot into the KDE GUI after startup. I could only login into my system without GUI.

First action was to follow this thread: "(Solved) How can 'Failed to start the X server' be fixed": http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=152952

Code: Select all

sudo Xorg -configure
sudo cp /home/mint/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
startx
However, this did not not work.

Next, I checked the error file and apparently there was a problem with the file .Xauthority; which I subsequently removed.

That worked, the GUI starts now after entering the startx command from the prompt.

However, every time I start my system, I will have to use the startx command from the prompt. This is not great.

Question, how to make LM start into the GUI without having to enter starts?

Note, my system is a 64 bits, dual boot Asus laptop with ATI RADEON video card. I run Mint 16 with KDEsktop.

Any help is welcome! Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kitsuneae

Re: MINT 16 boots GUI only after entering startx command

Post by kitsuneae »

I have also been having issues with XORG (that's the package Xserver and such is related to) breaking with 64 bit KDE Mint 16. In fact, I have had to re-do my desktop due to the XOrg suite breaking twice in the last three months.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with graphics cards as I have had that issue nomatter what graphics card I was using: I suspect that Xorg is unstable in 64 bit Mint 16. Doing anything to update programs can cause it to glitch out with the rest of Mint 16.

Both breaks happened after adding programs to my system. The first break happened when I tried to update some programs and it decided to update Xorg along with them. I was doing things manually in terminal, so I blamed myself. The second break happened after installing Pidgin, which, again, also updated Xorg. This time I let Mint do the work by getting the program through Synaptic. Suddenly I realized it probably wasn't human error after all. I think it's because updating Xorg caused dependencey issues with the rest of my system.

After the first break, trying the upgrade and update commands helped, but weren't a cure-all. My system was riddled with errors that came up at the strangest times and over the smallest things. I had to re-install Mint 16 to fix all the issues I kept finding. Even though I recovered my desktop from the second break, I'm probably just going to upgrade to Mint 17 now they have a stable KDE version and see if that makes things stop breaking.

The cool part about mint 17 is that it's not just a Long Term stable release: they are keeping the same program base for the next two years, so if we keep having issues like this there's a good chance it can be fixed by the developers! I'm also hoping that a more stable base (two years!) will mean less breaks.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Fordy110

Re: MINT 16 boots GUI only after entering startx command

Post by Fordy110 »

How did you remove the .Xauthority file? I have the same issue

Return to “Software & Applications”