Sharing /home dir with SparkyLinux

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Anna Merikin

Sharing /home dir with SparkyLinux

Post by Anna Merikin »

Error messages .xsession-errors that xfce (default in Sparky) cannot be found while sharing /home/user. Mint 16 KDE. KDE starts and runs fine, but I'd like to nuke the messages. I'm not really a newbie but I feel like one now; I can't find /home/user/.xinitrc or such to change desktop manager start sequence. Where has the file been moved to while I wasn't paying attention?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Anna Merikin

Re: Sharing /home dir -- SOLVED, sort of

Post by Anna Merikin »

I found some files in /usr/X11 I thought might be useful to read, and eventually copied ~./Xsession to my home directory as .Xsession. On reboot, it locked my screen, and whatever terminal I logged into to try to fix the mess automatically respawned x and locked up again. I deleted .Xsession from my home dir, rebooted from cold saw the original behavior and successfully logged into KDE. From there, I installed the xfdesktop (which I like and am used to) and kdm.

Now I get to choose which environment to use, and no more error messages!

Not elegant, but useful to me as I like both xfce and kde.

Return to “Software & Applications”