Mouse wheel scrolls too fast

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fin2cv

Mouse wheel scrolls too fast

Post by fin2cv »

Hello!

A new Linux Mint 13 KDE LTS user is born :D Installation went fine. Even the previously misfunctioned keys for the volume and so on came to live in my laptop (Asus N73JG), those keys where silent when using win 7.

Only slight problem after few hours of use is that the mouse wheel is scolling pages too fast. I've tried to adjust the speed from the System settings > Input devices, value for the "Mouse wheel scrolls by" is now "1 line" (the smallest value possible). And I tried to fix the problem by installing "smooth wheel" add-on for firexox but no visible cure for the problem. The mouse is "Microsoft Wireless mobile mouse 3000 v20" (sorry for the first dirty word, maybe this explains all for this problem :mrgreen: ). Anyone experienced this kind of problem?

edit: touchpad scrolling is working as it should, so the problem is with the wireless mouse..

Cheers!

-fin2cv-
Finland
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fin2cv

Re: Mouse wheel scrolls too fast

Post by fin2cv »

Problem solved, I ran the updates for the system, and now mouse wheel scrolling is as it should be.. As always, you shouldn't hurry :oops:
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I found this would happen again after reboot. My elegant solution is to yank the USB dongle out and put it back in. Then the scrolling works again until the next (or sometimes next after that) reboot.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

For what it's worth, a "dongle" is a security device that some software requires for copy protection (see [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongle]Wikipedia page[/url]). You're just referring to a USB plug or connector.

A friend of mine always calls his USB flash drives "dongles"---and I don't know why, but it drives me nuts. Maybe because it's such a silly-sounding word. Or maybe it's because I live in the suburbs and don't have enough to do. Maybe that's why I'm posting this, too. Anyway, there you go. :?|
eldarshadow

Post by eldarshadow »

Hello everyone,
I might have similar "problem". I've recently installed Mint 15 KDE, everything works fine, except sound applet in the tray - when I adjust volume by hovering mouse over it and scrolling, the volume jumps up/down by 15%, which is too much. Adjusting volume using global shortcuts (on keyboard) works fine (5%). Is there a way to decrease the increment of mouse scroll on the sound applet? I haven't found anything in the sound options, kmix or input devices (decreasing the number of scroll/lines doesn't work).

Cheers and thanks for any answers.
btyner

Post by btyner »

I'm having the same issue with 15 Cinnamon Olivia. My scroll-wheel's sensitivity is way too high and the System Settings' mouse dialog has no settings option for the scroll-wheel.
Pulling the USB wireless connector for the mouse does work in the interim.
But this is a shoddy fix for the long-haul. :-) Still happy that this does work though.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Same problem here - mouse scrolls much too fast!

Linux Mint 14 Mate 64bit
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500

My old Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse works just fine.

The trick to unplug the mouse works, but it's annoying.

P.S.: Just noticed this is the KDE section. Oh well, the same problem exists with Mate.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

In my experience when the mouse wheel works nicely fast to scroll pages, let's say a web browser, it's too fast for some system or DE actions. Old style mices behaving fine for those DE actions are desperatly slow when scrolling. I learnt to live with it. I want the wheel very fast.... and using the keyboard volume knob in my keyboard. :mrgreen:
jobarjo

Post by jobarjo »

same problem with linux mint 16 mate

browser and terminal windows scrolling too fast (probably all windows)

Is there a setting somewhere?
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

This seems to be an ongoing issue for many people (myself included), and appears to have
been around for a while, but it's another of those Linux 'niggles' that never gets addressed.

I have the same problem of the mouse scroll-wheel making too large a 'jump' for each scroll
step. I'm running a Microsoft Wireless 800 keyboard & mouse, although I had the same issue
with my wired USB Dell and Lenovo keyboards, so I don't believe it's device dependant.

It's intermittent too - after a reboot it's often fixed. It happens to me probably 50% of the time
I boot Linux Mint (17.1 64-bit xfce).

I've heard that unplugging/replugging in the mouse or USB wireless dongle will resolve the
problem (until the next reboot), it's something that should've been fixed a long time ago.

Cheers,

Mike.
ends

Post by ends »

@Mike I was about to post something almost word identical. How can something like a scroll wheel setting not be system configurable at this late stage in the game?
Linux is very quickly moving out of the mainstream and "Windows not so gr8" gave it a huge leg-up.
Linux mint is where many SME's are going to turn as there is virtually no retraining needed from Windows 7.

Something silly like a scroll wheel setting stopping people from reading their docs comfortably is a very serious issue and really needs to be
addressed in the shortest time possible.

It really is a deal killer if my staff are getting freaked out by the scroll wheel scrolling 4 lines at a time. On docs with pictures this means that you actually cannot
scroll to a particular page.

And please don't tell me to go and edit hidden file .foo__89 found in some obscure hidden directory reference in a blog post by "I'm so clever I know linux better than you! Peasant!" . Crying in beer this is 2015!! and google search on this issue goes back almost to Xerox PARC where the stupid-mouse-pointer-OMG-grandad-you-really-used-one-of-those-thingys was invented.

A silly thing spoiling an epic O/S

Best regards
Jeremy
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

@Jeremy,

I know where you're coming from, don't worry! :-)

Each iteration of LM is getting closer to being a 'perfect' substitute for Windows, but little annoyances like
this really can be a deal-breaker.

I think part of the issue is that too many developers are spread-out across so many desktop distros. Having
a huge choice of Linux desktops is fine and dandy, but do we really need 4 different groups of devs hammering
away on 4 flavours of Linux Mint?

I've tried them all and can see no reason to chose KDE, Mate or Cinnamon over Xfce (I'm sure others would
say exactly the same about their chosen desktop, but that's a whole other can of worms!).

I'd much prefer simple stuff like mouse-wheel scrolling to work! :-)

Cheers,

Mike.
Frappe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Frappe »

I started googling having the same issue...

What really amazes me is that this has been discussed for years. YEARS ??

Being a new user to linux I thought, it was THE operating system. But for something like this not to be addressed for YEARS is truly unbelievable. Even Microsoft Windows 3.1 had no issue with this.
Frappe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Frappe »

This one is actually getting annoying... not sure I can continue with my Logitech wireless mouse...
caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz »

I get the same problem with the mouse scroll speed. On the odd occasion it speeds up, I just move the mouse wheel a small amount and it scrolls down a page real fast, it also affects the scroll speed in Blender too.

I haven't got a solution but I have noticed that this problem only occurs after I have booted into Windows vista. I usually fire vista up about once a month just to see if it's still alive. After I have shut it down and booted up Mint I have the problem with the scroll speed. After pulling the mouse cable out of the PC and plugging it back in, or after a couple of reboots, the problem goes away.

For me at least the problem appears to be associated with vista.

Edit: Running Mate here, but the problem does appear to affect a variety of desktops.
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/
Frappe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Frappe »

I think I have found the answer!

I followed the instructions in this post (specifically the last post by Vivin Paliath) - http://askubuntu.com/questions/255890/h ... roll-speed

seems to be fine now, no matter what I do!
mscroggi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mscroggi »

ander111 wrote:For what it's worth, a "dongle" is a security device that some software requires for copy protection (see Wikipedia page). You're just referring to a USB plug or connector.

A friend of mine always calls his USB flash drives "dongles"---and I don't know why, but it drives me nuts. Maybe because it's such a silly-sounding word. Or maybe it's because I live in the suburbs and don't have enough to do. Maybe that's why I'm posting this, too. Anyway, there you go. :?|
A dongle is a required piece of plugin equipment. True years ago it was largely uses as copy protection, but those days have been gone for decades.. Google bluetooth dongle and see if you dont see a ton of the usb adapters https://www.google.com/search?q=bluetoo ... e&ie=UTF-8

Return to “Software & Applications”