How do I install gnome 3 (shell) on Mint 10?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wick

How do I install gnome 3 (shell) on Mint 10?

Post by Wick »

Hi everyone, I'd like to install gnome 3 with shell on my Mint 10, but I'd like to avoid compiling, so I wondered if I could use some updated gnome 3 repository, but I couldn't find any. Can you help me please?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: How do I install gnome 3 (shell) on Mint 10?

Post by SimonTS »

I guess that you could just install from the Gnome 3 PPA Testing repos - search on google for "install "gnome 3" ubuntu 10.10". The problem I can see is that you will likely lose all of you Minty freshness as you will basically be sticking a vanilla Gnome on, and AFAIK the Mint team have not released any sort of customised Gnome 3 for testing purposes yet.
Also, from what I've read, it's very much 'in development' and regressing if you don't like it has some serious problems, so I'd suggest that you use a clean build of Ubuntu instead on a separate partition and play with it first.
Wick

Post by Wick »

Thank you.
I think I'll try anyway, but I thought that you could choose at the gdm to launch gnome 2 or gnome 3, like it happens when you have more than one DE or like it will be for Unity in Ubuntu 11.04: I didn't realize it would overwrite gnome.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Ooohhh. Not sure, but I'd be very surprised if you could.

Just done a bit more checking;-
http://askubuntu.com/questions/22946/ho ... of-gnome-3

By the big "15" is a section called "Building GNOME Shell from source"

1. Building GNOME Shell

(Tested on Ubuntu 10.10 32-bit and the development version of Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit.)

The following will download, compile, and install GNOME Shell in a sandbox-like way - meaning, it won't touch the rest of your system!

May be worth an investigation for you.
Wick

Post by Wick »

Okay, thank you very much!
I'll try the sandbox-like way, or maybe wait for April 6th, when gnome 3 will be officially released, so maybe something more "official" will show up. Tonight I'll decide.

Thanks again!
anarkii

Post by anarkii »

can we not just use the gnome-shell that is in the Synaptic Package Manager?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can, but it is an old version that may contain some bugs. If you use the Gnome 3 PPA or compile from source, you get the current version.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

The Gnome 3 PPA is only for Ubuntu 11.04 and derivatives (hence Mint 11).

To install the current Gnome Shell you will have to download and compile from source. Once you do so it runs very well on Mint 10.
Mr. Pants

Post by Mr. Pants »

pluraldave wrote:The Gnome 3 PPA is only for Ubuntu 11.04 and derivatives (hence Mint 11).

To install the current Gnome Shell you will have to download and compile from source. Once you do so it runs very well on Mint 10.
could you provide a link with instructions to do this?, I have browsed around and cant find the definite step by step. (n00b) thanks :P

EDIT: this "should" work right :lol:

source--- http://www.wiredrevolution.com/ubuntu/i ... 0-maverick

Method 2: Build from Source

The following steps are expected to work when there’s no existing ~/gnome-shell folder.

1)Remove La Files--- http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/RemovingLaFiles

2)Install Dependencies

Run this command to install the GNOME Shell dependencies.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install curl libtiff4-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libcroco3-dev xulrunner-dev mesa-utils mesa-common-dev libreadline5-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libwnck-dev librsvg2-dev libgnome-desktop-dev libgnome-menu-dev libffi-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgconf2-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev gtk-doc-tools gnome-common git-core flex bison automake build-essential icon-naming-utils autopoint libvorbis-dev libpam-dev libgcrypt-dev libtasn1-dev libtasn1-3-bin libgnome-keyring-dev libupower-glib-dev libxklavier16 libxklavier-dev xserver-xephyr python-dev libpulse-dev libjasper-dev jhbuild libgtop2-dev libsqlite3-dev libproxy-dev libdb-dev libproxy-dev libcups2-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev
3) Build GNOME Shell--- http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/#Building

gnome-shell –-replace
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

This is a pretty good guide as it has instructions for what to do under certain error conditions.

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/install- ... buntu.html

The correct instructions to run gnome-shell at login are at the bottom of the gnome installation instructions.

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/#Building

ln -s ~/gnome-shell/install/share/applications/gnome-shell.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-shell.desktop
gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager "gnome-shell" -t string
martinwebster

Post by martinwebster »

I successfully installed the GNOME Shell on my netbook by building the latest version from source on Linux Mint 10. I've documented the steps on my blog: http://martinwebster.eu/2011/04/19/gnom ... x-mint-10/. This took a good few hours to install. However, it works pretty well with only a couple of niggles, e.g. old and new networkmanager present. Performance is excellent and I like the interface on the netbook.

Following this success I followed the same steps on my PC (Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 motherboard.) The good news is that building from source took around an hour and a half. The bad news is that it doesn't work well with the ATI fglrx driver. Most notably, the panel is transparent and the mouse movement isn't that responsive. Also, I see display artefacts and corruption around the window manager borders. Using the open source display driver results in the fall-back desktop.

I'm using the on-board ATI HD 4250 graphics; I'd be interested to hear what dedicated card works well with GNOME 3.
Last edited by martinwebster on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

martinwebster wrote:I successfully install GNOME 3/ GNOME Shell on my netbook by building the latest version from source on Linux Mint 10.
It's accurate to say you've installed gnome-shell, but your still running it on GNOME 2.32, it's a little misleading to say your using "GNOME 3".

EDIT: To answer your other question, my NVIDIA card is running well with the proprietary drivers with GNOME3 (and I hear nouveau works too); however, it will vary from card to card.
martinwebster

Post by martinwebster »

Thanks for making this clear; you're absolutely right. I have amended the post.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Nouveau 3D works quite well with Gnome 3 Shell (not tested Gnome 2.32 with Shell) and my NVidia 8400M GS.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “MATE”