Unable to connect to wireless internet

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Edyn

Unable to connect to wireless internet

Post by Edyn »

Not positive if this topic goes here. If not, then I apologize.

Anyways, I am completely new to Linux and recently created a Live-CD for Mint 7. I am having trouble getting it to even recognize my wireless signal. I know the computer itself can pick up on the signal as Windows still picks it up. I've tried going through and putting the info in as a 'hidden' wireless signal, but it still won't let me connect. I spent several hours last night googling to see if I could find the answer that way, but I every site I tried did not offer the results I was looking for. Below are screenshots I've taken of exactly what I'm seeing to help anyone willing to help me know exactly what my problem is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/ ... enshot.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/ ... nshot2.png

If I need to include any other info for this, let me know what it is and how to get it and I'll be more than happy to do so.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
lspci wrote:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)

00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)

00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)

02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
themew

Re: Unable to connect to wireless internet

Post by themew »

Easy fix... Hook your computer into your router directly to download ALL the updates. When the updates are done, you will be offered the option of activating the RESTRICTED drivers.

Once you've done this, the computer will reboot and VOILA - wireless connection.

I've had to do this with every laptop and wireless desktop I've installed Mint on. No downside, as the wired connection makes installing the massive updates quick.

Enjoy Mint!! :)
Edyn

Post by Edyn »

Thanks for the suggestion, themew. Though, I probably won't be able to try it until tomorrow or sometime. The router is in my mom's boyfriend's office, he and I don't exactly get along that well, so I'd rather wait until he wasn't here to do it.

Now, will I have to do this every time I boot from the live-cd or is this a one-time deal?
monoXcide

Post by monoXcide »

I'm having the same issue and it looks just like the screenshots above. The only difference is that mintUpdate says I'm completely up to date. When I do an ifconfig my eth0 shows up but not my wlan0. This has happened before about a month ago and it usually happens when I come out of suspend.

My hardware is an Acer Aspire One with Atheros wireless.

I'm thinking that I may need to reload the module as this has been an issue since Hardy Ubuntu - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/275692

If I do need to reload my modules, how would I do it? modprobe ath_pci?
Dude
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dude »

I've had problems going wireless with almost EVERY version of Linux on almost EVERY laptop. The first time I tried it, I had an older Dell laptop with a Broadcom wireless adapter. I tried installing Fedora. I remember downloading and running something called 'fwcutter' that got it to work. That was a while back. It seemed kind of unreliable. There are lots of blogs with other people who can't get their Linux laptop to work with wireless connections.

Now I have a Dell Mini 9 Netbook. I've tried at least a dozen different Linux distros on it. I always go back to the factory Ubuntu 8.0.4 install, because my wireless connection just works with no hassle. I don't want any unpleasant surprises when I'm on the road. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but wireless laptops seem to be problematic with Linux. Don't even think about using a USB wireless adapter with Linux.
monoXcide

Post by monoXcide »

Its working now. It is just flaky like that. If I reboot and go into and out of suspend enough times the wireless shows up and works fine. Then rarely when I come out of suspend the wireless won't work anymore. At least I have kinda isolated the problem (I think) and came up with some sort of "solution", but a permanent fix would be great. Maybe if acer would write a driver for linux?

The wireless is not bad though, when its working. Its usually rock solid and I have never had it just drop out on me so I personally consider it reliable. I guess I should only suspend when I absolutely need to?

Return to “Networking”