need help fixing extremely annoying problem

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trippin

need help fixing extremely annoying problem

Post by trippin »

my laptop disconnects from the network quite often causing me to have to disconnect and reconnect everytime. sometimes it happens alot. It is the only device that has this happen on the network.

what i want is to make it so everytime it does this it automatically reconnects. that way i dont have to do this each time.

how would one do this?

thanks for any help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sunnyx86

Re: need help fixing extremely annoying problem

Post by sunnyx86 »

This happens with WiFi. What you need is to install a later version kernel 4.12 better. Go to Mint Update manager and look for available kernels and install 4.12
trippin

Post by trippin »

sunnyx86 wrote:This happens with WiFi. What you need is to install a later version kernel 4.12 better. Go to Mint Update manager and look for available kernels and install 4.12
it says my system is up to date.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That's the main window. To see which kernel you're using and which ones are available, click on view => Linux kernels.

(I'm not saying that installing a newer kernel will fix your problem. I don't know that. But I do know where you can do that.)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trippin

Post by trippin »

M0em wrote:
That's the main window. To see which kernel you're using and which ones are available, click on view => Linux kernels.

(I'm not saying that installing a newer kernel will fix your problem. I don't know that. But I do know where you can do that.)

i forgot to say that i looked there too and the highest was 4.2.0-19
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Hold it.... don't start switching kernels rightaway!

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window fullscreen, in order to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal (copy/paste can be done with your mouse):

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
if you type: the letter F is a capital letter

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
trippin

Post by trippin »

Pjotr wrote:Hold it.... don't start switching kernels rightaway!

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window fullscreen, in order to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal (copy/paste can be done with your mouse):

inxi -Fxz
if you type: the letter F is a capital letter

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
System: Host: r00t Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine: System: TOSHIBA (portable) product: Satellite S855D version: PSKAYC-00T001
Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC version: MP Bios: Insyde version: 6.20 date: 11/07/2012
CPU: Quad core AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 18366.8
Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 1400.00 MHz 3: 1400.00 MHz 4: 2300.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7660G] bus-ID: 00:01.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8723AE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter driver: rtl8723ae port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8162 Fast Ethernet driver: alx port: 3000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (20.2% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HM500JI size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 451G used: 95G (23%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.02GB used: 0.01GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 63.5C mobo: N/A gpu: 61.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 175 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 2419.3/7386.9MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

The RTL8723AE chipset.... Try the rtlwifi_new driver from lwfinger, like this:

a. First establish internet connection by other means, for example by ethernet cable.

b. Launch a terminal window.

c. Copy/paste the following command line into the terminal, in order to stop the current flawed driver from running (note that this will temporarily disable your wireless):

sudo modprobe -r rtl8723ae
Your password will remain entirely invisible, not even dots will show, this is normal.

d. Copy/paste the following command line into the terminal, in order to download and install the required build packages (the building tools with which you're going to build the driver):

sudo apt-get install git build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
e. Download the driver packages by means of git, with this command:

git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
f. Now you're going to compile the required kernel module from the driver packages. Copy/paste this line into the terminal, in order to enter the folder with the driver packages:

cd rtlwifi_new
And then run this command:

make
g. Finally, install the compiled module with this command:

sudo make install
h. Reboot your computer.

i. Your wifi should work well now: click on the icon of Network Manager in the system tray, in order to see the available wireless networks.

Note: do NOT install newer kernels, because then you'll probably lose the driver again! In Linux Mint you never get a newer kernel by default, so that's OK.
trippin

Post by trippin »

Pjotr wrote:The RTL8723AE chipset.... Try the rtlwifi_new driver from lwfinger, like this:

a. First establish internet connection by other means, for example by ethernet cable.

b. Launch a terminal window.

c. Copy/paste the following command line into the terminal, in order to stop the current flawed driver from running (note that this will temporarily disable your wireless):

sudo modprobe -r rtl8723ae
Your password will remain entirely invisible, not even dots will show, this is normal.

d. Copy/paste the following command line into the terminal, in order to download and install the required build packages (the building tools with which you're going to build the driver):

sudo apt-get install git build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
e. Download the driver packages by means of git, with this command:

git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
f. Now you're going to compile the required kernel module from the driver packages. Copy/paste this line into the terminal, in order to enter the folder with the driver packages:

cd rtlwifi_new
And then run this command:

make
g. Finally, install the compiled module with this command:

sudo make install
h. Reboot your computer.

i. Your wifi should work well now: click on the icon of Network Manager in the system tray, in order to see the available wireless networks.

Note: do NOT install newer kernels, because then you'll probably lose the driver again! In Linux Mint you never get a newer kernel by default, so that's OK.
thanks for your help. hopefully this fixes it. it realy sucks having that happen all the time. how can i avoid installing a newer kernel? whenever i see theres an update i just go to update manager and click install updates. is that ok?

thanks again.
trippin

Post by trippin »

its still happening :(
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Try if it helps when you disable IPv6:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... onnection-
(item 8, right column)

And if not done before: make sure that your wireless network is not hidden (visible SSID) and that it has WPA2 Personal encryption with AES only (no TKIP).

Finally, make sure that your wireless network transmits on the optimal channel, namely the one with the least interference from other networks in your vicinity. Check the channel usage like this: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... st-channel
(item 1, left column)

Return to “Networking”