[SOLVED] HELP! Cannot change wireless network name!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NeoGeo64

[SOLVED] HELP! Cannot change wireless network name!

Post by NeoGeo64 »

Now, this is a new one. When I try to create a wireless hotspot and then go into /etc/networkManager/system-connections and change *ANYTHING* about what was randomly created by Linux Mint 17.3 for the wireless hotspot it suddenly disconnects and will NOT let me use my backup config I have saved from previous versions of LM 17.X

Can anyone shed some light on this? How can I change (customize) the network name, password, etc without LM just throwing it's hands up in their air and saying NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!

AN urgent reply is needed. Thanks!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NeoGeo64

Re: HELP! Cannot change wireless network name!

Post by NeoGeo64 »

OK, I had to go into the GUI mode under network settings to create it. It still wouldn't work. One protip in 17.3 is that you can't use any old password for your WiFi hotspot; it has to have at least one capitol letter and and at least 2 or 3 numbers. I was wondering why the save button was greyed out until I took a closer look at the default password it had created when I created the hotspot from random.

I then rebooted (not sure if I had to) and then went into /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections and was able to copy/paste my backed up hotspot settings from previous 17.x releases. Of course, I had to change the password to something valid for 17.3 as I previously mentioned. I was also able to rename the file from Hotspot to the name of my SSID for easier recognition in the future. It disconnected as it had before but quickly reconnected. Being from the Windows world for so long (and even though at this point all devices found/saw the new WiFi hotspot) I rebooted. Everything worked.

I *SINCERELY* hope this helps someone from pulling their hair out. Each new version of LM has small little changes that just make you go W.T.F.

Have a great one y'all!

Return to “Networking”