Can't connect on a build-in modem

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erulisse

Can't connect on a build-in modem

Post by erulisse »

Hello,
My first post, and my 1st linux aswell ;)
The answer to this question most likely is here somewhere on this forums but i'm linux noob so ;)

So i installed Mint 17.2 on CF-card on my Toshiba Portege r400 and almost everything is working and was installed from the start.
Beside the build-in 3G modem which, is installed, saying its Novatel Wireless HSDPA Modem (same name it had under windows - and it was connecting there without any problems on the same apn/numer etc) however here when i try to connect it's doing something for about 1min and then its just saying "disconnected" tried to change some of the settings but the result was the same ending in disconnect (wi-fi is working without problems)

anyone have a solution to this or similar problem or can point me to easy "how to"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
erulisse

Re: Can't connect on a build-in modem

Post by erulisse »

Ok so as connecting through build-in modem manager wont do (tested on two different SIM cards) i tried to get some help and found sakis3g app but, nothing changed

when i try using it to connect it asks me to choose the modem from the list either USB or BT one, i choose USB, and its there as Novatel Wireless HSDPA Modem then it's going like

locating device -> locating tty -> preparing modem -> registering network (and here it's doing something for like a minute or two then it goes) -> unable to register a network -> try manual choosing? (when i click yes then) -> scanning networks (which takes another two minutes) -> please select network (but it gives none to choose) -> failed to connect

if i try to connect again after that fail, at the preparing modem phase the app goes "error, device did not report gsm capabilities"

any ideas? :)
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

That sounds like it is one of those old Windows only modems.
erulisse

Post by erulisse »

sigh... tried to set up wvdial with config other ppl use for this provider and now im getting "Modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)"

Return to “Networking”