extreme newby .. wireless problems

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dakotamoon

extreme newby .. wireless problems

Post by dakotamoon »

I have tried to run mintWifi many times.. the screen shows: sudo/: No such file or directory

Just about every thing I find to improve linux mint cinammon .. when I type it in the terminal.. I get errors.

Obviously I'm doing something very wrong??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: extreme newby .. wireless problems

Post by tovian »

Hi. I really feel for you... I feel like a total newbie most of the time even though I've been playing with Linux for four years.

Can you please post the EXACT command you typed. The question you posted makes it look like you may have typed.... sudo/

Hang in there - it's worth it in the long run !!
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
dakotamoon

Post by dakotamoon »

Yup.. from the earlier post: I typed in: "sudo/ /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/mintWifi.py "

I went back in and retyped the sudo /usr etc.. same result command not found

I'm an old windows geek and used to cutting and pasting with ctrl c and v .. can You tell me how to cut and paste in Linux?

Thanks
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window fullscreen, in order to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal (copy/paste can be done with your mouse):

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
if you type: the letter F is a capital letter

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
dakotamoon

Post by dakotamoon »

System: Host: billybob-HP-Mini-110-1100 Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Mini 110-1100 version: 0393110000201B00000300000
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 308F version: KBC Version 02.10
Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: 308F0 Ver. F.17 date: 09/16/2009
CPU: Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3191.91
Clock Speeds: 1: 1067.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic
Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8132 Fast Ethernet driver: atl1c ver: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: ec80 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (3.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HM160HI size: 160.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 146G used: 4.6G (4%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.06GB used: 0.11GB (10%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 59.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 141 Uptime: 5 days Memory: 416.4/995.3MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Broadcom BCM4312 chipset.... Try this:

1. Establish internet connection by other means (wired?).

2. From the menu, launch Synaptic Package Manager. Search for broadcom and remove everything broadcom related (b43 packages).

Then close Synaptic.

3. Then launch Driver Manager. Does it offer you a bcmwl-kernel-source driver? If so, install it and reboot.

Does that help?
dakotamoon

Post by dakotamoon »

i can find the broadcom packages - but it won't let me remove them? there is a yellow x and an orange x for removal - but I can't make that choice? thanks for all your help
dakotamoon

Post by dakotamoon »

I,m assuming the 3 broadcom packages listed in synapticon with "x"'s
mean they are NOT installed? and that's why I can't make the choice to remove them?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

OK.... Skip step 2, and go straight for Driver Manager (step 3).
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dakotamoon

Post by dakotamoon »

The driver manager says their are .. broadcom drivers available.. and lists 1 ubuntu package.. but it won't let me install them.. it looks like it's going to ... and just hangs and then the "do not use this device" choice is hi lighted every time.
dakotamoon

Post by dakotamoon »

thank You so much again for Your help.

A friend of mine recommended Linux Mint.. and told me "how "intelligent" linux mint is .. and how it installs everything for You .. it's so much better, and easier than Windows!"

This has not been my experience. ;)

I have tried various builds of Linux over the years.. and there is always at least "one thing" that is not ready for prime time.. that makes Me think in a couple of years.. they'll have it down, I see that hasn't happened yet. If I only used my lan wired in, I'd be off to the races.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Regarding cut/copy & paste.... I'm new to Mint and it's driving me nuts too. [CTRL]+c or v works at least some of the time. But, I think what I've found is that some programs have their own "clipboard" and I've had trouble getting something copied in some windows pasted into other windows - from a Kate window to a Kwrite window, for example. When I try to [CTRL]+v there's just nothing there. The only thing I've found so far is not to use Kate - and that's not a very good answer. I hope somebody explains the copy/paste trick to both of us.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"

Animal House
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

tovian wrote:Regarding cut/copy & paste.... I'm new to Mint and it's driving me nuts too. [CTRL]+c or v works at least some of the time. But, I think what I've found is that some programs have their own "clipboard" and I've had trouble getting something copied in some windows pasted into other windows - from a Kate window to a Kwrite window, for example. When I try to [CTRL]+v there's just nothing there. The only thing I've found so far is not to use Kate - and that's not a very good answer. I hope somebody explains the copy/paste trick to both of us.
Do all of your copy/pasting with the mouse. No need for keyboard shortcuts that way....
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Pjotr wrote:Do all of your copy/pasting with the mouse. No need for keyboard shortcuts that way....
I've never experienced keyboard shortcut "mysteries" in any other OS (including Linux, Windows, Mac). Is there some documentation that notes the failures/limitations of the keyboard shortcuts ?
I've been using keyboard shortcuts for 25 years and if I am going to change those habits I want to know EXACTLY what works and what doesn't work. I would hate to have to go through this every time I try another shortcut and "maybe it works and maybe it doesn't".

THANK YOU

Animal House

Return to “Networking”