Can browse but cannot download packages

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
medwatt

Can browse but cannot download packages

Post by medwatt »

Hello,
I just installed Mint 17.2. Everything seems to work except when downloading packages when connected to WiFi. I can connect to WiFi and can browse the web without anything unusual but when I try to install a software via 'Software Manager' or via the terminal, I cannot. In fact, I was told in the Software Manager that 'The package blabla could not be installed. Please check your connection to the internet'. This is weird because I am connected to the internet and I can load webpages.
I connected the ethernet cable that goes into my wireless router and connected it directly into the LAN port. There were no issues. I was able to browse and download without any issue. So, I thought it might be something in the router that is causing the problem because some time ago I opened and closed some ports. I restored the router to factory default. I am still unable to download packages via WiFi.
Please help !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can broswe but cannot download packages

Post by deepakdeshp »

If you are able to browse, even when connected to wi-fi . then you should be able to use wi-fi for downloading also.
Go to Menu--> System setting--> Networking and check if wi-fi is enabled. Enable wi-fi and connect to the wi-fi by entering the required pass key
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
medwatt

Re: Can broswe but cannot download packages

Post by medwatt »

deepakdeshp wrote:If you are able to browse, even when connected to wi-fi . then you should be able to use wi-fi for downloading also.
Go to Menu--> System setting--> Networking and check if wi-fi is enabled. Enable wi-fi and connect to the wi-fi by entering the required pass key
I have already said I can browse the web when connected to WiFi. The only problem is when downloading. I hope I can record a video and show it because its unbelievable that I can browse the web but can't download packages (neither from the software manager nor from terminal).
medwatt

Re: Can browse but cannot download packages

Post by medwatt »

I just recorded a screencast. Please take a look: https://youtu.be/YMxW59U4VWY
medwatt

Post by medwatt »

Wow. Nobody can offer a solution ?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Open a terminal and run the command shown in code (menu-- accessories-- terminal ) when you are connected to wi-fi. This is just to make sure that you are connected to the internet. One doubt is are you getting the pages from cache when you browse the net?

Code: Select all

ping google.com
If the above command pings successfully , run the following given in code from terminal and post the output. When prompted for password you have to give your password

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

That's an odd one. Have you tried installing packages with Synaptic? Might be worth a try. Probably the fact that the forums have been offline for most of the times since your original post has contributed to the lack of suggestions for a solution. Now that the forums are back up, give it another day or two. And in the meantime, try Synaptic.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Make /etc/network/interfaces by hand. An example about the file.

auto lo eth0 wlan0
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
Command ..

nmcli dev
... tells your interfaces.

After editing, run

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
Last edited by kukamuumuka on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
medwatt

Post by medwatt »

deepakdeshp wrote:

ping google.com
I can ping google and I do see the replies that I ought to see.
deepakdeshp wrote: If the above command pings successfully , run the following given in code from terminal and post the output. When prompted for password you have to give your password

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
This process stalls immediately when things need to be downloaded. After a minute or so of inactivity, I get a message saying something to the effect that there's no internet connection. I find it irritating to have to sit near the corner where my router is located before I am able to download packages.

Have you seen the video I uploaded in the 3rd post. Do you want me to record another video ?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "medwatt",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

This sounds like something is wrong with your setup in your router's wifi settings. You should not see any difference in behavior between wired or wireless connections, yet you are. Have you modified your router's wifi settings, and if so how, exactly? You could try resetting your router ...

The only other thing I can think of would be if you modified your wifi settings in Linux Mint for this connection, did you, and if so, how, what, & why?

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You might test the wifi using the live Mint DVD.
That might tell you if the router is the problem.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

medwatt wrote:
deepakdeshp wrote:

ping google.com
I can ping google and I do see the replies that I ought to see.
deepakdeshp wrote: If the above command pings successfully , run the following given in code from terminal and post the output. When prompted for password you have to give your password

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
I did see your video I had faced same problem of wi fi disconnecting aftet some time. Please see tje solution which worked for me

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=208499

This process stalls immediately when things need to be downloaded. After a minute or so of inactivity, I get a message saying something to the effect that there's no internet connection. I find it irritating to have to sit near the corner where my router is located before I am able to download packages.

Have you seen the video I uploaded in the 3rd post. Do you want me to record another video ?
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can check the strength and stability of wi fi by connecting your phone as a wi fi from the same lovation . If downloads on yoor wifi connected phoe are ok; you can work on Mint
Regards,
Deepak

medwatt

Post by medwatt »

phd21 wrote:Hi "medwatt",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

This sounds like something is wrong with your setup in your router's wifi settings. You should not see any difference in behavior between wired or wireless connections, yet you are. Have you modified your router's wifi settings, and if so how, exactly? You could try resetting your router ...

The only other thing I can think of would be if you modified your wifi settings in Linux Mint for this connection, did you, and if so, how, what, & why?

Hope this helps ...
I thought that my WiFi router is the problem. I restored it to default settings. No change. My phone connects normally without any hickup. I have a Win7 dual boot and it runs perfectly as well. I have to say that by the time I created this thread, I had installed Mint only a few hours earlier. So, I have not played with any configuration file. Its still fresh from the DVD. If anyone would like me to record another screencast to further buttress this weird issue, please say so.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "medwatt",

It would help to have more specific system setup information, could you please run from the console terminal prompt the commands "inxi -Fxz" and "lsusb", and post the results back here?

Obviously, you have a WiFi adapter, is it internal or external (USB)?

If you have the software firewall enabled, try disabling it temporarily. Did you install any other security type software since you installed Mint?
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
medwatt

Post by medwatt »

phd21 wrote:Hi "medwatt",

It would help to have more specific system setup information, could you please run from the console terminal prompt the commands "inxi -Fxz" and "lsusb", and post the results back here?

Obviously, you have a WiFi adapter, is it internal or external (USB)?

If you have the software firewall enabled, try disabling it temporarily. Did you install any other security type software since you installed Mint?
Hello. I am not using an external WiFi adapter. I also don't have any firewall or security software installed. I'm posting this from my Mint Installation. Here are the outputs:

inxi -Fxz
System: Host: Lenovo Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.11 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine: System: LENOVO product: HuronRiver Platform version: Lenovo V570c
Mobo: LENOVO model: Emerald Lake version: FAB1 Bios: LENOVO version: 44CN43WW date: 10/27/2011
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9977.9
Clock Speeds: 1: 809.863 MHz 2: 819.140 MHz 3: 807.421 MHz 4: 815.625 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA GF119M [GeForce 410M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 driver: intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak] driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (0.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD7500BPVT size: 750.2GB temp: 39C
Partition: ID: / size: 72G used: 5.4G (8%) fs: ext4
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: 43.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 201 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 1012.9/7898.5MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17
lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0489:e00d Foxconn / Hon Hai Broadcom Bluetooth 2.1 Device
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1c7a:0603 LighTuning Technology Inc.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b223 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
medwatt

Post by medwatt »

This is basically a dead thread now. :cry:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi medwatt,

Honestly, I have never read, or heard, of your issue before, where you can download updates using an Ethernet wired connection, but not when you are using your Wifi connection even though you can surf the Internet with your Wifi. I have read thousands of articles and posts, and this is a first for me.

The only thing I can recommend, is to re-install Linux Mint Cinnamon edition. You might also consider trying another Linux Mint edition, like Mate, or KDE (my favorite). I do not think "Xfce" would be a good choice because you have pretty good hardware, but you could try that too.

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Networking”