wifi not working even with Penquin Atheros AR9271 usb

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
john-doe

wifi not working even with Penquin Atheros AR9271 usb

Post by john-doe »

Hi can anyone help me? I have a fujitsu PH530 LIFEBOOK had the laptop now for a month, was working fine with windows. installed linux mint also wanting to run tails but no wifi in either TAILS OR MINT. tried [rfkill list] and tried to unblock all but still not working. bought a penguin 802.11N USB Wifi Adapter Card, the computer can see the wireless device but, will not connect to it. [rfkill list] says ...0: phy0: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: NO / Hard blocked: YES. hope someone can help me out thank you :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: wifi not working even with Penquin Atheros AR9271 usb

Post by JeremyB »

From what I found doing a google search, is that there is a slider switch that should toggle the hard block and allow wifi to work
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

According to the online manual - there is slide switch. See here: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/726366 ... =39#manual
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
john-doe

Post by john-doe »

hi thanks yes i know where the switch is and it is ON, tried dozens and dozens of commands, even found an in depth guide on wifi problems in linux, the Penquin is working now but thats just a utility and i really want the computers wifi card to work, this is the biggest problem with a laptop that ive ever had. i dont wanna switch back to windows but i may be forced to! or sell the laptop, i have a small dying netbook and that picks up wifi ok, ive hit a dead end here, tried looking at BIOS settings and i can not find any network settings in there. and i cannot find any BIOS upates. cant even use tails on the same machine, no wifi in tails either. any magicans out there??? :cry:
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Strange that the switch doesn't work as it should as it should toggle the hard block, I will have you run a wireless diagnostic script from ubuntuforums.org and post the results to get a better idea of what might be going on

Code: Select all

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/raw/master/wireless-info && chmod +x wireless-info && ./wireless-info
And post the contents of the wireless-info.txt file
john-doe

Post by john-doe »

ok i will cut and paste this code into the terminal and get back to you with results soon later today, there is a serious communication problem with linux + laptop. strange why these problems dont happen in windows.. :)
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

john-doe wrote:ok i will cut and paste this code into the terminal and get back to you with results soon later today, there is a serious communication problem with linux + laptop. strange why these problems dont happen in windows.. :)
Not really strange it's because the drivers that the manufactures use are built specifically for Windows and they will not release the code for them .
So Linux devs have to re code the drivers for linux and it's a pain to say the least. They are not free in many cases to mess with the original code because of Licensing. Some Manufacturers have come around and provide drivers for their cards but not all. Broadcom, Intel and some others have done pretty good job of porting their cards to Linux, some such as Broadcom provide drivers but keep them licensed in such a way that Linux developers are not free to improve them.
they are not all open source in other word.
Run the script and it should give clues to what may be needed.
Good luck
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
john-doe

Post by john-doe »

So this is what it came back..

dean@dean-LIFEBOOK-PH530 ~ $     wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/raw/master/wireless-info && chmod +x wireless-info && ./wireless-info
--2015-11-28 16:34:09--  https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/raw/master/wireless-info
Resolving github.com (github.com)... 192.30.252.128
Connecting to github.com (github.com)|192.30.252.128|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/master/wireless-info [following]
--2015-11-28 16:34:10--  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/master/wireless-info
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 185.31.19.133
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|185.31.19.133|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 15868 (15K) [text/plain]
Saving to: ‘wireless-info’

100%[======================================>] 15,868      --.-K/s   in 0s      

Last-modified header missing -- time-stamps turned off.
2015-11-28 16:34:11 (80.8 MB/s) - ‘wireless-info’ saved [15868/15868]

[sudo] password for dean: 

Results saved in "/home/dean/wireless-info.txt".
:)
john-doe

Post by john-doe »

tails is also saying this under known Wi-Fi issues, saying i should download [broadcom-sta-dkms] so i downloaded that in linux also, still nothing is working.https://tails.boum.org/support/known_issues/#index2h1 :)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Post the contents of the wireless-info.txt file that is in your home directory
john-doe

Post by john-doe »

hello and thanks for your help but, im tired of this problem and if linux are to give out free software then they should be able to sort out wireless issues. it should not be such a ballache! im done with it now and i will put windows back on to the machine. thanks :evil:
Mister_Marple

Post by Mister_Marple »

Hi, i have the same Problem with the Lifebook PH 530 from Fujitsu. I am using two operating systems on my pc - WIN10 and Ubuntu 15.10. When i boot Linux i have only connection to the internet with cable (LAN). With Windows i can use WiFi two. I know it is not realy a resolution? but for me it is the only way to use Linux.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Mister_Marple wrote:Hi, i have the same Problem with the Lifebook PH 530 from Fujitsu. I am using two operating systems on my pc - WIN10 and Ubuntu 15.10. When i boot Linux i have only connection to the internet with cable (LAN). With Windows i can use WiFi two. I know it is not realy a resolution? but for me it is the only way to use Linux.

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net; rfkill list all
from terminal in Linux Mint
Mister_Marple

Post by Mister_Marple »

Dear JeremyB,

this message i get when i turn the switch for WLAN OFF:

xx@xx-LIFEBOOK-PH530:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net; rfkill list all
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet [1969:2060] (rev c1)
Subsystem: Fujitsu Limited. Device [10cf:15db]
Kernel driver in use: atl1c
04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Fujitsu Limited. Device [10cf:1537]
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes

This message i get, when i turn the switch ON:

xx@xx-LIFEBOOK-PH530:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net; rfkill list all
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet [1969:2060] (rev c1)
Subsystem: Fujitsu Limited. Device [10cf:15db]
Kernel driver in use: atl1c
04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Fujitsu Limited. Device [10cf:1537]
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
2: hci0: Bluetooth

I can see that
but what does this mean?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

This might work

echo "blacklist acer-wmi" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/acer-wmi.conf
Reboot
Mister_Marple

Post by Mister_Marple »

I have copied this:
echo "blacklist acer-wmi" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/acer-wmi.conf
and insertet in Terminal.
After sudo passwd. i get the following massage:
blacklist acer-wmi
Don't know what it means...
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Normal just reboot
Mister_Marple

Post by Mister_Marple »

O.K. i will do.

Be back in a view minutes.
Mister_Marple

Post by Mister_Marple »

Dear Jeremy,

i am online - Wireless! I can't believe it!

I thank you so much for helping me.

Greatings and a nice Weekend.

Mister_Marple
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Not a problem, whenever rfkill shows acer-wireless on a non Acer computer, acer-wmi is usually the problem

Return to “Networking”