Trouble installing Asus USB-AC56 RTL8812AU Wireless Adaptor

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stringsonfire

Trouble installing Asus USB-AC56 RTL8812AU Wireless Adaptor

Post by stringsonfire »

I'm thinking about moving from Windows to Linux Mint 17. I thought I'd get my hardware working, then find software replacements, then move. So far it's not going well.

I have an Asus USB-AC56 wireless adaptor, plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

I've tried installing this driver Asus supplies here, using the install.sh script. This is listed as v4.2.5_10143.20140103. On restarting, the system crashes? Hangs? Four orange dots appear and disappear for a very long time. I was able to boot into Mint again after unplugging the adaptor. Seems this only supports up to Linux Kernel 3.10, whereas I'm on 3.16.

How do I uninstall whatever junk that script installed?

I've been looking for a newer driver. I've found nothing useful specifically for the USB-AC56, so I'm going by the RTL8812AU chipset and assuming they are one and the same.

This forum post has lead me to the gnab repo, but this is an old driver version, v4.2.2.

This thread on ubuntuforums mentions the ulli-krill repo, but this has no version number as above, and appears to be specifically for an Edimax device.

A post at AllSupported links to the abperiasamy, which is based on 4.2.2 with no real detail as to what's changed. This issue here suggests the Fredy72 repo, based on v4.3.14_13455.20150212_BTCOEX20150128-51, which could work, but doesn't have much detail, and where did the original 4.3.14 come from? I couldn't find it or anything for any AC ICs on the Realtek site.

This ubuntuforums thread leads to the [urlhttps://github.com/scrivy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux]scrivy[/url] repo, which doesn't seem much different, and this pld-linux folder, which has loads of patches I don't understand.

There's another by csssuf here based on v4.2.2 as well. This one by meoow is version 4.3.8, but I don't understand where that comes from, and it appears to be for Raspberry Pi 2, so I don't know if I can even use that. This one from diederikdehaas doesn't even have a readme, but was updated 3 days ago.

So I'm somewhat lost, coming from a world where it's one device = one driver. Help please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”