Why does Linux Mint have weak wifi signals?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
renzor

Why does Linux Mint have weak wifi signals?

Post by renzor »

I have faced this problem many times. First, I thought it has something to do with laptop model and brand but later I came to know that same hardware with different OS was having different results.

Laptop using Windows, Windows 8 to be more specific were receiving wifi signal more easily than in my Mint laptop.

Why is this? Is there any solution to this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Why does Linux Mint have weak wifi signals?

Post by Pjotr »

I don't really recognize this.... What's your hardware?

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
renzor

Post by renzor »

Pjotr wrote:I don't really recognize this.... What's your hardware?

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Definitely a linux driver issue, since just tried Windows speedtest compared to Linux and it's almost twice the speed. Already done the rtl_wifi unofficial update which fixes disconnections but not the low wifi signal/speed.
Last edited by renzor on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Ok, so it looks like Linux via realtek issue, checking finds various problems
http://askubuntu.com/questions/329932/s ... ess-driver
https://zach-adams.com/2014/06/fixing-r ... ntu-linux/
--that was a linked page, but the This gets a 404 error (no page), so the advice from the linked site then becomes use wicd (another network manager)
  • that may or may not be worth the effort: you decide..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WICD
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wicd
loganj

Post by loganj »

i have similar issues with hostapd hosting an ap

i have a wireless adapter from motherboard (bcm43228) and recently ive bough an usb-ac56 adapter (both are from asus)
so my problems are similar
well im not sure if its even download considering that the problem is the connection between phone and pc .....anyway i tested with my phone (zenfone2 which has ac support) and speedtest app from android market.

both adapters has double download speed in windows
both adapters seems cap-ed at some value for download in linux.

Example:
the bcm43228 has 56Mbps connection both in windows and linux
difference is that in windows i get around 40-50 mbps while in linux i get 18-19mbps...i never was able to reach 20 mbps or more. upload for windows 50mbps and for linux around 40mbps
now the usb adapter (rtl8812au) has 200 mbps connection in windows and 130-150mbps in linux
in windows i can get 100 mbps download (thats the max of my wired connection so i can't test for more) while in linux i get 28-29mbps...never reach 30mbps or more. upload around 100mbps in windows and for linux 70-80mbps

the thing is that the download speed it seems caped at some point cause it start directly almost to 20mbps for bcm and 30mbps for rtl.
and i cant get past it no matter what.
its so annoying

EDIT:
i manage to fix the USB-AC56 by installing new driver/hostapd from another manufacturer....well not sure how good it is but i can get 80-90 Mbps download/upload....i have no clue about the max speed.
the bcm card still the same. and i gave up after i manage to fix the other one.

Return to “Networking”