My home connection doesn't show

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sepuzi

My home connection doesn't show

Post by sepuzi »

Hi, only my home wireless connection doesn't show, others do show and I can connect. I can connect to my wireless network with Windows and others devices. I've had this problem in others versions of mint too, currently I'm using 17.2 Rafaela. I could connect to my network some time ago in mint, but then it stopped showing, and because I didn't needed linux anymore I just stopped using it. I tried restarting the router and the network-manager..

The machine is a Asus X201EV
Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
It's using bcmwl-kernel-source Version 6.30.223.248+bdcom-0ubuntu0.1

Hope you can help me, thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ofb

Re: My home connection doesn't show

Post by ofb »

This doesn't actually make sense. Are you saying you can see and connect to other routers, but your own router is not listed?
Screenshot-43.png
If so, perhaps your router is not set to be visible. Select "Connect To Hidden WiFi Network.." and enter the appropriate name and security to connect.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

If the network name (SSID) is hidden, unhide it. It's a popular myth that a hidden SSID gives you security:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... tywireless
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
sepuzi

Post by sepuzi »

ofb, exactly, my own router is not listed. And the SSID is not hidden, I checked and toggled it just to check again. I also tried to "Connect to hidden network".
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

On what channel is your wireless network broadcasting?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
sepuzi

Post by sepuzi »

It's broadcasting in automatic mode, the channels change. Right now it's in 2 - 2.417GHz, the other day it was in 13 - 2.472GHz.
ofb

Post by ofb »

Perhaps try some sanity checks: see if the LiveISO of Mint works, and see if the LiveISO of Mint works on another computer. This is quite strange, so let's see if it can be narrowed down.

...it shouldn't matter, but is the router's name anything unusual? Like irregular characters or perhaps the charset from another language?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Code: Select all

iwlist channel; iw reg get
and what country are you in?
sepuzi

Post by sepuzi »

Well, yesterday I booted my laptop on mint and it connected to my wireless network... :shock: I still don't know what caused the disappearance of the network, but it's working now. Very strange behaviour.

Return to “Networking”