how to make IP static?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coder123

how to make IP static?

Post by coder123 »

Hey guys I'm trying to get a plex server up and running but I need to make the 192.168.1.xxx ip static but having trouble doing so. editing the interfaces file like this says made the internet not work at all and made the wlan0 go away from ifconfig. (not appear when typing ifconfig in terminal) I copied the text except put wlan0 instead of eth0 and used my current 192.168.1.xxx ip at the time. but then it couldn't connect to my router so I got rid of it.
http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=3785
I'd love to get plex going. My Linux friend IRL has been pushing me to do so.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Re: how to make IP static?

Post by 1.618 »

You assign the static ip address via your router, log in to it and see which device has which ip address and make a note, then you should have an option somewhere to assign static ip addresses to individual devices
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The method 1.618 provided should work, but the original attempt should work also. The crucial part is, that the third part of the IP address (here: 1) must match with the address of the router. Not all routers use 192.168.1.1 as their own address per default, but e.g. 192.168.2.1 (or something else, general 192.168.Y.1). So either make the static IP address matching with the correct Y or change Y inside the router to 1, if you absolute want that.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

I have made static and dynamic IP in my test-server.
/etc/network/interfaces

Code: Select all

auto lo eth0 eth0:0
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0:0 inet static
       address 100.0.0.0 
       netmask 255.255.255.0
/etc/rc.local

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# By default this script does nothing.
sleep 20
cd /home/mint/Asiakirjat/network && cp resolv.conf  /etc/resolv.conf 
exit 0
... I use custom resolv.conf file
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile,ofono
dns=dnsmasq

no-auto-default=BC:5F:F4:E6:EB:39,

[ifupdown]
managed=true
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

Verizon is my provider. With them it's easy to do. All I had to do was go to myfiosgateway.com. I forgot what option I had to choose but it shows all of the devices on your network and it gives you the option by checking or unchecking a box to set a static IP address.

Maybe your provider gives you the same configuration options.
coder123

Post by coder123 »

I have verizon too but my friend only showed me how to make a rule in the router to open a port for the current local IP according to him it was the computer configuration that I had to be messed with in order to make it static on the other hand my other friend agrees with with most of you guys are saying about loging into the router.

Thanks for the info.

Return to “Networking”