Newby can't unblock wireless HP G60

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rsdhouse

Newby can't unblock wireless HP G60

Post by rsdhouse »

This is my first attempt at Linux. I'm a long time Windows user. My first install of 32-bit, i had multiple issues navigating the OS but my wifi worked. I subsequently installed various versions (32-bit and 64-bit) and wifi did not work. I'm now back on 32-bit Rafaela 17.2 and wifi will not work I have looked at the forums and tried the commands - nothing works. if someone can help me, great! Otherwise, I'm going back to Microsoft :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Newby can't unblock wireless HP G60

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.

Also give the output of:

Code: Select all

sudo rfkill list all
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
rsdhouse

Post by rsdhouse »

Thank you for responding.

System: Host: HP-G60 Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP G60 Notebook PC version: F.54
Mobo: Wistron model: 303C version: 08.60 Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: F.54 date: 08/18/2009
CPU: Dual core AMD Turion RM-75 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 8799.82
Clock Speeds: 1: 550.00 MHz 2: 2200.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA C77 [GeForce 8200M G] bus-ID: 02:00.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce 8200M G/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW! GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.76 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: NVIDIA MCP72XE/MCP72P/MCP78U/MCP78S High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:07.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic
Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath5k bus-ID: 07:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: NVIDIA MCP77 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: 30f8 bus-ID: 00:0a.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (1.5% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54503 size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 38G used: 4.5G (13%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 70G used: 98M (1%) fs: ext4
ID: swap-1 size: 10.24GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 81.1C mobo: 69.0C gpu: 0.0:82C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 153 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 455.8/3794.4MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17

At first boot:
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no

After attempting to connect via wifi:
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Hard blocked.... Have you tried the wifi switch?
rsdhouse

Post by rsdhouse »

Yes I have tried the switch. Has no effect.
Apparently, I'm have larger hardware issues this morning so this is all for naught. I will have to attempt again this at some future point.
Thank you for your time.
CaptainChaos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CaptainChaos »

I'm having the same trouble myself.

Although ostensibly they are both G60s, my laptop appears to be somewhat different than yours (F.26 instead of F.54).

If one presses the WiFi button on *my* laptop, WiFi stops working and the only way of getting it back is to boot Windows and re-boot into Linux straight away. I faffed with the "rf" related stuff but to no avail.

I also lost the use of the "brightness up and down" (fn) buttons when upgrading from a 3.13 to a 3.16 kernel.

These two items are irritating but not *toooo* annoying. What is a real pain is the flakiness of the touch-pad.

However, all in all, I'm very pleased with the way that the G60 runs Mint. (Likewise the Elitebook 2540p that I've got as well.)

Regards,

Mark.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

CaptainChaos wrote:I also lost the use of the "brightness up and down" (fn) buttons when upgrading from a 3.13 to a 3.16 kernel.
In that case I advise to downgrade to the 3.13.x kernel.....
What is a real pain is the flakiness of the touch-pad.
Is the flakiness identical in Windows and Linux Mint?
CaptainChaos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CaptainChaos »

Pjotr wrote:In that case I advise to downgrade to the 3.13.x kernel.....
Well, I read somewhere that a 3.16 kernel was recommended with Mint 17.2. The loss of the FN+brightness buttons was, as far as I could tell, the only penalty so I stuck with it.
Is the flakiness identical in Windows and Linux Mint?
I didn't think so but I've just booted Win7 to check [shudder] and it all seems OK. The strange thing is that the touchpad is also a bit "funny" under Mint on the Elitebook *but* that laptop has, I think, been heavily used. The touchpad buttons seem to feel a bit worn to me... (When I bought it, it was already third hand.)

On the G60, the cursor will suddenly fly across the screen and it can be some time before I can see where the heck it went. I fiddled with the X-related stuff as suggested in a couple of threads, but it still misbehaves. (Ah, yes - the "turn touchpad on and off" button *also* doesn't work and didn't under the old kernel, either.)

On the Elitebook, the left-click button sometimes - in fact, quite often - behaves as a right-click button thus bringing up context menus and suchlike when I'm not expecting it. Other than that, the Elitebook/Mint combination goes like a train... (It is also lets me actually make use of DVD-RAM disks; I bought some to try *many* moons ago and, up until now, have *never* managed to find a hardware and software combination that allowed me to *use* them.)

Thirty years ago, I would've been keen to get "under the bonnet", have a rummage around and *fix* things. Nowadays, not so much. (I must be getting old...)

Regards,

Mark.

Return to “Networking”